The Work starts now – TechEd Finale
Learning continued today at the SAP TechEd. It being the last day, everyone seemed to be in a firefighting mode to gather and learn all that can be learnt and taken back with them from the event. I, like yesterday and the day before, had a specific agenda today as well ,related to the line of work I am in, Business Intelligence, Business objects, Planning and HANA.
The first session I attended today was a one hour session by Marc Bernard on Integrated Planning Business Kit on BW 7.40 on HANA. It was pretty interesting to go back, listen and interact about the technology i so love. Some key takeaways from the session for me were
- Integrated Business Planning combines power of BPC and IP in BW 7.40 Classic BPC NW model and PAK model come together in a unified BW based model, with seamless integration with ECC.
- Single platform to run BPC NW directly on SAP BI. Possible from BPC NW 10.1 which is scheduled to be available from december 2013
- New Planning Engine (PE) in SAP #HANA. BPC Accesses it using MDX statements and IP uses the Planning Application Kit (PAK)
- Planning function of type SQL script as exit alternative for HANA #SAPTechEd#HANA.Custom planning functions needs to be rewritten using SQL.
- SQL scripting as alternative to replace custom planning functions, characteristic relationships and data slices.
- Planning can now be used with BW workspaces which are based on the planning cubes.Plan local data completely detached from global
- New Audit Dimension in the planning cube in BW 7.40 . Not available on planning on the DSO yet.
- New SAP EPM Unwired mobile interface as entry point into SAP solutions for Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) applications
- Planning Application Kit(PAK) is now in memory with BW 7.4 on HANA. Most planning functions have been migrated to be supported on HANA.
- Planning on Data store objects : Ability to delete rows in the DSO using Integrated business planning
- New Planning work spaces enable users to plan local data completely detached from global data
I then attended a 2 hour hands on session on Real-Time Analytics platform on SAP HANA Live. This was a very interesting set of tools and kind of gave a flavor of working with SAP HANA. We got to work on HANA Live views, ,modelling studio , it’s various features like user setup, creating a calculation view and extending it. We also got a chance to preview the views created in HANA on the SAP Lumira tool. We could not finish all the exercises due to the time constraint ( there were around 371 pages on the assignment and we could complete only half of them during the exercise 🙂 )
The afternoon was again dedicated to the Infozone, Q&A sessions and breakout sessions. Two interesting sessions I attended were a hands on session on Customizing Business Objects for the business, where we talked about
- Various customization options
- Shared service management(tenant)
- Application security
- Tenant Provisioning Tool
The second one was about the new features in WebI 4.1. Some key takeaways are
- New Raylight RESTful web services SDK for defining workflows
- New Freeze header/Column option in WebI reports
- Option to create color palletes (custom)
- New List of Values in fomrula editor
- Better support for hierarchies
- Enhanced query stripping support for removing unused objects from a query
The last session of the day was about how PSEG used and implemented the Near Line Storage architecture at their company in order to archieve data in BW. It made for a very interesting case point which i believe every company not yet archiving their data , should consider, now that we have NLS in BW as well.
The convention center was almost already was empty by 6:00 PM today. People were already leaving back home, or relaxing after a sapping three/four days of learning and work, while many let their hair down at the Grand Finale of this year’s TechEd, the Imagine Dragons concert.
It is time to go back to our desks and implement and put to use all the learning and the tools that have been learnt over this TechEd. The work starts now !
Hoping to see you all around next time !