It is a kind of SAP R/3 enhancement
Why ZEBRA BAR CODE STICKER PACKING & SCANNER TRACKING IMPLEMENTATION?? Based on the business projection to be in line with national & international practices
This activity is being taken up to provide the ZEBRA BAR CODE STICKER & TRACKING IMPLEMENTATION process in the SAP R/3 system. This practice can be very well used as per the business requirements stated. This mainly deals with the exemplification of business needs and benefits involved post implementation.
- Barcode scanning can be started with reference to sales documents such as sales orders, deliveries ,STOs etc for the correctness / Accuracy of Parts & Quantity to be dispatched
- Generation of the Packing List from the system against the respective sales documents instead of Manual packing list to avoid human error & to save time.
- To have full proof system
- On an average, Cost Savings of approx 10 $ can be saved per consignment for an average scaled business unit.
- Processing hours to be saved.
- Normally, the process of Packing at dispatch is carried out manually and involved a lot of verification, documentation & manual calculations which is time consuming and expensive, which will help to minimize in efforts and cost reduction.
- The business will get detailed Analysis on sales related document wise Quantity required to be packed and accordingly analysis for packed quantity in cases.
- Replacement of Manual Written Shipping Label from system generated BAR CODE Enabled Shipping Label.
- The business will be able to Identify Correct Packing Scenario w.r.t Sales document Quantity being ordered through scanner.
- Primary Objective
To Implement ZEBRA BAR CODE Sticker Packing using SAP Smart Forms & Tracking through Scanner for Dispatch activity in SAP R/3. The main idea and concept here lies with the improvisation of BAR code Functionality such that it can be properly invoked in SAP R/3 System. The particular layout is invoked in SAP R/3 system from the 3rd party tool using the SAP Smart Forms.
- Scope:The Scope is defined in four domains:
- Functional Scope:
- Geographic and Organizational Scope:SAP’s ZPL driver also offers support for international character printing similar to what it offers for companies like HP and Lexmark. Optional PC Cards with World type fonts provides support for most of the world’s major languages. Moreover, Support is also provided for Unicode font containing most of the languages needed for use in Europe, the Middle East, Asia pacific and Africa
- Technical Scope: Detailed Analysis of Major ABAP Developments to be done. it has been found that Businesses which wants to integrate bar code label printers with SAP R/3 uses below mentioned steps:
- Designing the ZEBRA Bar code label using SAP’s Smart Forms layout tool
- Uploading the printer programming language into a SAPscript layout. The language involved here are ZPL in case of Zebra printers.
- Using label design software in combination with operating system for eg: Windows NT or UNIX.
Technical scope also includes the following:
- Major ABAP developments- Console application, program development.
- Monitoring System Response.
- Data Archiving and Database Reorganization for DB space management.
- Application of SAP Notes (If required).
- System configuration(if required at any level)
- Application of Patches at OS/DB level.
- Synchronization of the Disaster Recovery Server.
- Infrastructure Scope:
BUSINESS PROCESS MODELING AND PROCESS FLOW:
The general tendency of Business under is that when Dispatch department receives the Sales document from sales department on the basis of Client requirement, Through Production Department the Dispatch department procures the Material required, as mentioned in the Sales document. For a manual these materials consist of TAGS printed over them, which provides the material No along with the description along with the quantity. A sample Tag has been attached below:
example FIGURE: MATERIAL TAGS
This is then in general followed by a Primary packing and at this stage again manual or normal laser printer generated details are attached to ascertain the packing details. Sometimes, as per the business requirement, Secondary packing is also used, where the primary packed materials are packed together in a small carton or plastic bag as per the sales document quantity (i.e., several pack size quantity summing up to sales document quantity). The manual checking, in order to confirm whether the right items are packed in right quantity or not is done during this stage. The Export TAG referred above is tied to the Secondary Packs. Finally, all the packed material is packed together in a BIG carton, where the manually made Shipping label (or, Packing Slip) is inscribed.
REQUIRED PROCESS FOR USING ZEBRA BAR CODE LABELS AND SCANNERS:
The required process will have following Pre-requisites:
- 1. Development of Bar Code Stickers
- 2. Designing in bar Code sticker as per formatting requirements
- 3. Scanner for eg: HHT Scanner with 16 x 20 Screen , RF Scanner with RF Antenna
- 4. PC with Microsoft NT 2000 – For application of SAP console
- 5. Profile in SAP CONSOLE
- The Scanner will be provided with SAP Console implemented screen such that it will allow the user to enter the Sales document number, Material Number & Quantity & Scanned Quantity
- For example , a Sample screen is attached below :
- The scanning activity will require a HST Scanner or RF Scanner. This scanner will be used to scan the Barcode data present over the individual item sticker (primary packing). The scanned data will capture Material data i.e. Material No & Quantity. It will capture all the data which is present inline within the Bar Code. It can involve data from variability of sales document numbers, Sold to party details etc.
- Accordingly, post the checking & confirmation of packed quantity & Sales document quantity, the packing in secondary packing carton is done. Accordingly, the subsequent System development to generate Shipping Label (secondary packing slip) is used for application purpose.
EXAMPLE FIGURE: SHIPPING LABEL
DETAILS REGARDING DEVELOPMENT OF BAR CODES:
- What is a Smart Form??
The Smart Forms are graphical forms design tool. It can be made aware to Business User. Using this, Business can design for itself without banking upon on programmers. It provides bar code rendering and bar code printers; and also used for label design.
After the form or label is designed graphically in Smart Forms, it simply has to be activated.
To make formatting changes No SAPscript programming is required. Label size, font types, bar code symbols, line spacing, justification, logos, lines, boxes, and variable data can all be specified within the label design. A label can easily be modified at any time and activated all within SAPgui without the need to program ABAP or SAPscript.
First, the bar code and text styles that will be used within the labels are defined. Then laying out of the label graphically using Smart Forms thereby Placing fixed or variable objects on the label including text, bar codes, logos, lines, boxes, etc.Finally , to Save, activate, and test the form all with a couple of mouse clicks. The completed format resides on the server and can be used to output variable-data bar code labels on any printer on the network.
- What is ZPL??
ZPL is short form for Zebra Programming language which is exclusively used for designing of Bar code Stickers. Basically the ZEBRA Printer analyses the requirement and the SMART Form conversion is done into ZPL such that the printer may assess the designing and formatting of the sticker.
Using ZPL, printers can obtain maximum print speed, word wrapping, text justification and many other important features. It allows user development and designing to modify labels.
This Solution is 100 percent developed & for this, No additional third-party licensing is required. Reliability, stability, and future support and has Confidence of SAP tested and bundled by SAP.