Before I begin, I assume that the reader is familiar with Creation of Policy, Linking the Policy to Group and Applying the Policy on the Device
Webclip is only associated with iOS devices
What is Apple Webclip.?
- Apple Web Clips allow for web based applications to be presented on an iOS device in the same manner as other applications.
Why a Webclip.?
- Let us consider , A company wants its employees to access a Intranet site to get the latest information. In this scenario , a Webclip can be created with link to access the intranet site.
How to create a Webclip.?
Follow the below steps to create a Webclip.
- Click on the Policy Tab in the home screen of Afaria console
- Create a New Configuration Policy for iOS as shown
- Enter the Name of the Configuration policy and expand the MDM Payload dropdown.
- Select the Webclip option and click on add
- Enter the details.
- Label is for the Name of the Webclip(application) that will appear on the device screen.
- URL shall be the URL of the Intranet address. In this example I have used (http://www.sap.com)
- Icon is the application icon that one wishes to represent the app on the Device screen.
shown below is an example
- Save the Configuration Policy , Link the Configuration Policy to the Group and Apply the Policy
- When the Policy is applied on the Device, an application with the icon uploaded on the Webclip section appears on the device application list screen as shown below
- When the user clicks on the application(in this case “Intranet Site”) icon , the user is directed to URL specified in the Webclip section(In this case http://www.sap.com) as shown below
So, one can create a Webclip to direct and iOS user to access the intranet site.