DSLayer: SBOUC and SAP TechEd
On the heels of a successful ASUG SAP BusinessObjects User Conference (SBOUC) several of us got on Google Hangouts to discuss the future of the event, it’s potential co-location with SAP TechEd, and briefly celebrate a St. Louis Cardinals victory. Full recording, audio version, iTunes link, and voting poll available here. Thanks to Eric Vallo, Greg Myers, Dallas Marks, and Derek Loranca (Smokey) for joining me.
- 01:00 Around the room with who is drinking what. Turns out I like boxed wine.
- 02:30 Community News.
- 04:10 Eric drops the question.
- 04:35 Smokey likes the idea of together, but still separate.
- 06:10 Jamie provides a brief history lesson.
- 07:30 Greg thinks SAP just wants to tap into our SBOUC magic. And he’s in favor of it.
- 08:20 Our first the Borg reference.
- 08:40 Eric loves TechEd, but it isn’t currently “grand in a BusinessObjects-y way.”
- 09:10 Dallas SBOUC feels like it gets smaller every year. REO Speedwagon takes a veiled shot across the bow.
- 10:00 In the current setup, Dallas won’t get to SAP TechEd, pretty much ever.
- 10:30 It’s the content that matters, and SAP TechEd doesn’t provide as much BOBJ content as SBOUC.
- 15:40 Greg thinks that TechEd is the place to go for Hands On and touching base with Product Managers.
- 17:30 ASUG Annual Conference gets a shout as a successful co-location
- 18:30 Jamie avoids Eric’s question regarding end users being able to succeed at TechEd.
- 20:20 Derek thinks they’ll fit right in, but think the really non-techies should be pushed towards ASUG Annual Conference.
- 21:30 Jamie thinks Business Intelligence attendees are unique in that they straddle the business/IT divide more than most users.
- 22:40 What from SBOUC needs to stick around and not get sucked up into the SAP TechEd machine?
- 24:10 My family celebrates Chris Pohl‘s sadness.
- 25:10 Greg thinks Dev Wars is cool, but not the same thing as DemoJam.
- 26:20 How do we co-locate and keep our own identity?
- 27:00 Impromptu make-out session.
- 27:40 Creative solutions to your conference problems.
- 32:45 Dallas asks about the vendor showcase area of these conferences and what co-location would mean.
- 36:30 Keynotes matter, and external speakers are a great value-add.
- 38:00 Co-location doesn’t have to be forever.
- 39:45 What about the cost?
- 42:30 The wheels come off of the whole video concept.
Check the video, and don’t forget to go vote here.