How to Implement SAP Business One projects successfully
I have 6 years of experience in projects of B1 implemented like of 2005 B pl30 to 9 version pl4. This about my short introduction.
Consisting of both failure and successful stories depending on which I have constructed steps to be followed for successful implementation.
I know that SAP has given ASAP methodology but in this blog am going to explain it in differ way.
Purpose of the BLOG:
How to Implement SAP Business one projects.
- Pre sales person should know the functionality of the b1.(At least he should know what can be done what can not be done)
- Targeted industry should be achievable, for example we should avoid to target the Textile Industry (for example B1 wont support Size wise Colour wise item master) or Project management or Jewellery etc.. But still add-ons are available in the market.
- First we should do high level analysis of their business then we have to give commitment.
- While showing demo we should do it in SAP itself not in PDF file or some other documents. This will avoid the miscommunication between both side.
- After demo lead should get an idea in terms of what they will get in the B1. For example if the company is manufacturing, then they will expect below process
- Production including WIP cost
- Capacity planning
- Cost sheet
- Quality process including control panel.
- In terms of system requirement we have to analysis their Server and Client system configuration. If the configuration is not met then project may get failure in training stage. So we have to communicate clearly what they need to buy.
- If they have multiple branch then we have to discuss how they are going setup their network. Then they have to plan for get Static IP or VPN or CITRIX etc…..
- Some lead may ask to migrate their past one year data into SAP, better we avoid this.
- Once order has confirmed we have to ensure that below points has communicate clearly
- Total number license
- Target date to Go-Live
- Modules or Departments going to be implemented in SAP
- Number of company or Number of location going to be implemented in SAP
- Hardware and Software requirement (SQL, Window server 2008, No of User CAL(Client Access License) etc….)
- Yearly maintenance.
- Additional cost for the Add-on like (Payroll, Project management etc…)
In this blog am going to explain the below points:
- How to Start the project.
- Steps to be follow for successful Go Live.
- Steps to be done before Go Live
- Steps to be done one day before Go Live
- Steps to be done after Go Live
- Steps to be followed from day one to till GO-LIVE
1. How to Start the project >>
- Before going to the client place go through his website. For example
- What are all items they are selling (This will help you while discuss about Item master)
- How many branch they have (This will help you while discuss about Project or Dimension)
- They have multiple branch or multiple company (This will help you while discuss about Segment)
- Refer they are doing Import /Export (This will help you while discuss about Multiple currency) .
Like this you can have an idea before you go to system study.
- Intro meeting:
- Arrange meeting in client place and do the below points
- Finalize the project manager from your side and client side
- Finalize the Process owner for all the departments in client side
- Give short introduction about AS IS and TO BE document to client and Tell them they have to sign,
- End of this step we should know who is going sign the document.
- Prepare Project Plan:
- Prepare project plan including target dates and team members and daily milestones.
- Keep updating this sheet on daily basis
- Send this project plan to every one on weekly basis.
- If you notice that dates are deviating then write a mail to client side project manager, saying that we are deviating from plan. This mail will help you to move your steps faster.
- End of this step we should know when we can make it live the project.
2. Steps to be follow for successful Go Live >>
- Master data collection.
- Explain our DTW template to concern department owner.
- Ask them to fill it in our DTW template file
- Ask them to send it through mail (There may be a chance to say by client, its wrong data I have not given. In that time we can show this mail).
- Collect list of SAP users.
- End of this step we should know that client can able to fill the temple and they accepted to fill it.
- Arrange department wise meeting
- In this meeting all the department owner should present. Otherwise they wont sign the document.
- Start the discussion in below sequence. for example we are discussion with Purchase department,
- Point the Scenario list like Import purchase , Local purchase , Service purchase and other different type of purchase.
- Then start the detail discussion based on scenario list.
- Once you complete the discussion do a draft document then present it to the department head and ask for sign off.
- Also include the following, list of Reports with format, list of approval, list of alert and list of PLDs with formats
- Like this you have to do for all the departments. Once all the department owners has signed then you go to next step.
- End of this step we should know all the requirements of the each departments.
- Finalize the document with all team members.
- Collate all the document into one document.
- Arrange one meeting with all the team members
- Present your document and ask the sign off.
- End of this meeting we should ensure that both (we and client) in same path.
3. Steps to be done before Go Live >>
- Gap analysis
- Import masters which we collected. Make sure that duplicate entries are not there
- Now we have a document what client need, based on this document define the process in SAP and do the test entries
- Try to adopt in default fields, if not possible then create the UDFs
- If any special requirement then start planning to do the Addon.
- Analyse the reports and PLDs which we collected. This analysis will help you to create UDFs and define the process flow
- Finally , Purchase to Sales do the test entry till you satisfy.
- End of this step we should ensure that, all the entries can be posted in SAP. If you found that some process not possible to do it in SAP convey to the client saying that they have to maintain the record manually in excel or some other software
- Create 3 database with the naming , I. CompanyName_Testing, II. CompanyName_Training, III.CompanyName_Live
- Start training on fist database
- If you want to test something test it in second database
- Third one will keep it for go-live
- Create all the users. Do the form setting else users will get confuse
- Prepare training schedule and send it to the department heads and then Start training.
- What are all the changes you are collecting while training do it in 3rd database also. This will help you while go-live preparation
- Send a entry count report to all the heads using below link help (This will help you to speed up your testing)
- Now ask the department owner to do training signoff.
- End of the training we should ensure that all the users can do their daily activity in SAP
- GO-LIVE Preparation:
- Discuss about how they want opening balance.
- For example some client needs bill wise opening balance for Customers and Vendors. In this case we have to plan for doing service invoice for each bill.
- In terms of Banks you have ask un-reconcile checks list separately. This will help you while do BRS
- In terms of Stock you have to get the details warehouse wise.
- Now you will get opening balance for Asset , Liability and Equity.
- Sum all the amount, finally you should get zero then only your opening balance is correct.
- Create 4 account code in Equity side for opening balance. I Customers Opening Balance II Vendors Opening Balance III Ledgers Opening Balance and Stock Opening Balance.
- Import the opening balance based on above ledgers.
- End of this step we should ensure all the changes are replicated from the test database into live database including PLD and reports.
4. Steps to be done one day before Go Live >>
- Check your opening balance account is Zero.
- Check you can able to open all the documents (Some times you will get issue in numbering series).
- Login into the created users and check they can access their screens without any issue.
- Lock all the user in training database (their may be a chance, user will wrongly login to test DB and post their live entries)
- Tack a backup before users start entering the entries.
- Ensure that all the client system have SAP client and its in accessible mode.
5. Steps to be done after Go Live >>
- Collect the feedback from all the users.
- Check all the users can do their daily activity in SAP.
- If any new request comes or new changes raise ask the requested users to fill the change log. (Change log format you can use provided by SAP)
- Discuss this changes from the client side project manager then do it. (What happen sometimes users will ask the changes for their convenience which is not acceptable by top management )
- Schedule the auto backup and check that system is taking backup on schedule time. This you have to do on daily basis and give training to system admin from the client side.
- Most important point is verifying the automatic journal entries. This you have to do at least 10days and you have to get confirmation from finance head and ask the finance head to check it on daily basis. This will help you while close year end.
- What happen sometimes while do year end if something goes wrong, then finance manager may tell that, SAP has done wrong posing and you only mapped the accounts. So you have to tally our Balance sheet like that they may put a ball in our court.
- End of this step all the users and management should be happy.
6. Steps to be followed from the day start to till GO-LIVE >>
- Daily send status mail to all the team members. for example
- E-Mail Subject: Status as on so and so date
- E-Mail Content: Deviating point from project plan:
- Waiting for sample printout format received from purchase department
- Waiting for customer master received from sales department.
- Like that you have to mention it in bullet point, so that top management people will read.
- E-Mail Content: Deviating point from project plan:
- E-Mail Subject: Status as on so and so date
- Weekly basis send the project plan to all the team members.
- Weekly basis organize meeting for update the project plan. If not possible at least conduct the meeting in phone.
- If you feel that dates are deviating immediacy arrange meeting with team members and convey the delay. This will help you for Go-Live as per schedule date
- Ensure that all the team members are clear about the Go-live date.
Any questions or if anyone has any tips for me please post below.