SAP Kapsel and the Hybrid Web Container HWC
SAP Kapsel is a series of Cordova 3 (PhoneGap) plugin’s that will be part of the future release of SMP 3.0. Here are my notes on its capabilities, mainly gleamed from a Video Interview with John Wargo made by Ian Thain …
Use Cordova or Phonegap then add the following SAP Kapsel plugin’s
1. Login / Authentication plugin – Logging onto server also using Afaria on device features.
2. App updated plugin – Deliver just the delta’s to the Web application. Very like existing SMP 2.3 HWC.
3. Push plugin. Enterprise push to mobile.
4. Encripted storage plugin. Good for encripted Offline storage.
5. Log / logging plugin. Uploaded to server.
6. Off proxy plugin.- manages installation of certficates.
7. OData ….. Offline with Odata version 3.
See also John’s Blog http://scn.sap.com/blogs/johnwargo/2013/09/22/sap-mobile-platform-and-apache-cordova
A Kapsel application is the Cordova container with one or more of the Kapsel plugins added. Kapsel is a suite of SAP developed plugins that make Cordova enterprise-grade and allows it to more seamlessly integrate with the SAP Mobile Platform Server. The Kapsel plugins will provide capabilities like application lifecycle management, implementation of a common logon manager and SSO, integration with SMP server-based push notifications & more. Coupled with the data access and administration capabilities of the SMP server, Kapsel provides customers and partners with the enterprise-grade hybrid development tools they need.
Kapsel will fit within a customer or partner’s existing Cordova development environment and processes. With the plugin management capabilities available with Cordova 3.0, managing the Kapsel plugins in a Cordova application will be a breeze. We may even bundle in tools that more tightly integrate Kapsel’s capabilities with the Cordova CLI to simplify application management, testing, deployment within the SMP server environment.
I notice that this years innoJam is going to be using Kapsel and appBuilder, yet another reason for going …