Recently I have installed the SAP Business Object 4.0 on Sybase database.
I can’t find any material which guides me to perform this installation on Sybase ASE. Hence I have spent almost a week of time in surfing SCN and other sources to gather some guides and recommendations but still I was had lot of hurdles in the installation which made to re-install for more than five times 🙁
Finally I accomplished the task and the server is now running successfully.
Hence I am Blogging this guide for the newbies like me who can make use of this can install without any failure (I wish so 😉 ). I am sorry that i dont have much of snapshots 😳
You’re installing the of SBOP 4.0 on Sybase ASE in a Windows 2008 R2 sever
Installation guide for SAP Business Objects 4.0 SP4 on Windows
INSTALLING SYBASE ASE 15x
- Click on Sybase ASE 15x setup
- Proceed with clicking Next and choose you installation directory
- Click on next and provide your license file or go with free developer edition options
- Accept the T&C
- Now click on Install to start the installation process
- ASE plug-in will ask for save passwords, click on Enable or Disable as per you security policy.
- Now the vital part of installation, configuring ASE server starts. Click on next to configure.
- On the configuration parameter
- choose mixed oltp/dss as application type
- Choose 8k page size (Prerequisite for SBOP 4.0)
- Choose charset as “utf8” if you want to use Asian language while installing SBOP
- Click on next after above selections, and ignore the warning message about page size.
- Now change the master device and DB size if needed.
- Click next to configure backup server and xp server.
- The password for sa account would be disabled for input, which can be set after installation.
- Check the parameters for configuring web services and click on next
- Check the settings for discovery services and click on next
- Check the security login modules and click next
- Specify the port for RMI (this should not be used by other app) or proceed with default value.
- Click yes to setup the Sybase SQL server as windows service.
- Check the parameters at glance and click next.
- Most of the time we would face an error at this time. The installer will throw an error “Failed to configure new adaptive server”.
- The installer may give a detailed error saying “Cannot run program “<inst dir>:\Sybase\ASE-15_0\bin\sybatch.exe” (in directory “<inst dir>:\Sybase”): CreateProcess error=14001, The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.”
- Do not close the installer and refer to my document Sybase side-by-side config error for solutions.
- After applying the solution, click on previous which will take to the screen (step 18) and click next. Now you would see the configuration is running smoothly.
- Click finish once the installation completes
- Check whether the Sybase services are running (ignore the Sybase XP service). And change service startup type to Automatic.
- Login to Sybase through cmd:
$> isql -Usa -P (default blank pwd) –S<serverhost name>
1> Sp_password null, ‘<new password>’
[Output: Password correctly set]
This would change the default blank password of sa to the new password.
After installing Sybase we may have to create a separate DB for SBOP 4.0. Creating a new DB through command prompt using isql statement may be interesting but I would prefer to use a graphical tool for creating database. During the Sybase installation, a tool called Sybase central 6.0 would also be installed. You can find it on the following path.
Start> Program files -> Sybase -> Sybase central 6.0
Or <inst dir>:\Sybase\Shared\Sybase Central 6.0.0\win64\scjview
Points to remember during creating DB for SBOP 4.0
- Create a new device for Business object database with 2 GB space.
- Create a new database for Business object database with 1.5 GB space for log and data in above created device. (for recovery purpose it is recommended to create separate device for log)
- Create a new login provide the ownership for the business object database and also set the newly created DB as default DB for this user.
- Password for this user should not contain any special character.
INSTALLING BUSINESS OBJECT SERVER 4.0
Now we shall install the Business Object 4.0 server. Before starting installation, you should apply for license in Service Market Place guide.
You can also obtain temporary key on the same. http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SMP/Business+Objects+license+keys
- Please ensure you have admin privileges and your password does not contain any special character.
- Navigate Business object server setup folder and click on Setup, and select the language.
- Run through the Prerequisite check and verify whether there are any errors. Installer would let you to start the installation only if all the checks are in success state.
- Enter the Name, Organization and product key and click on Next
- Select Full installation and click next.
- Make changes in installation path, if necessary. And click on next.
- Select “Use an existing database” for setting Sybase ASE as DB for BI platform.
- On the list of CMS database type, select Sybase option, and click next.
- On the List of Auditing database, choose the desired one or skip by selecting “No auditing database” and click next
- Select Java web application server as per your requirement or leave it for default tomcat option and click next.
- Select “Install and use Subversion” for version control management and click next,
- Specify the details for Server Intelligence Node name (by default hostname) and port (by default it is 6410). (Please make a note of these port numbers)
- Enter CMS port no (by default 6400) (Please make a note of these port numbers)
- Enter password for the Administrator account and CMS cluster key and click on next.
- Note: This is the password which you would use to login the BI launch pad and CMC after installation. The default user ID is Administrator. Please note down the password which you enter here. The CMS cluster key is password for accessing the CMS database (business object database entities). Hence please note down this key also which you may have to use in future. This key would be encrypted and hence you may not find it later if you forget this.
- Avoid using special characters on password and cluster keys
- Fill-in the CMS database connection info
- Sybase service name: Name of the Sybase server name, probably your host name. else check the name by looking at the run file. Path: <inst_dir>:\Sybase\ASE-15_0\install\ Run_<servername>.bat
- Username: Specify the username created for business objects DB (avoid giving “sa”)
- Password: Specify the password for the above user.
The database will be chosen automatically based on the above credentials, hence specify the user that is designated to the DB created for Business Objects.
- Check for the Tomcat ports and click on next. (Please make a note of these port numbers)
- Check for the HTTP listening ports and click next.
- Password for subversion repository: This credential is for version management software, it is better to maintain same password with as specified for CMS account.
- Select to configure SMD agent, if you have Solution manager and SLD in place or click “Do not configure SMD agent”
- Select to configure connectivity with Introscope Enterprise Manger or click “Do not integrate”.
- Now click next to start the installation.
Installation may take hours based on your system configuration. Normally I would take max 1 Hr.
It is better to monitor the installation to observe the errors. You can look the setupengine log regularly to confirm that there are no errors. The log would be in the following location.