Want to know what makes me nuts?
Driving behind (or in front of) someone who has a phone next to their ear, or worse – they’re checking email or texting while driving. The person is clearly not paying attention to driving– creating not just an inconvenience, but a significant safety hazard.
And it’s getting worse.
According to the data from “Mobile Worker Population to Reach 1.3 Billion by 2015, According to IDC,” the number of workers using mobile devices is set to increase to 1.3 Billion by 2015. That’s billion with a “B” folks. And this is not just happening in the Washington DC area where I live— the growth of a mobile workforce is truly global, and one of the key trends shaping the 21st century workforce:
- North America is already underway, with 75% of its workforce currently mobile, and growing – the most highly concentrated group
- 838.7 Million Asia/Pacific workers by 2015 – the largest total number of mobile workers
- 244.6 Million EMEA workers by 2013 — which includes 50% of Europe’s total workforce
Sitting in traffic watching this ‘mobile madness’, I began thinking about mobile adoption and use. More specifically – when and how should mobile be adopted to really help improve workforce productivity and business results?
One of the key areas within Talent management where mobile can be applied is with learning solutions. Working with our customers, here are the top
5 ways we’ve seen mobile applied to improve Learning adoption and results:
- Accelerate and Assure Compliance — Learning solutions are traditionally applied in this area. But did you know you can accelerate and help further assure compliance related training with a mobile enabled learning solution? In the case of SuccessFactors, you can manage the learning plan, view assigned courses and related information, and launch online content.
- Conduct on-the-job (OJT) Sessions without the Baggage – Mobile learning can provide a great way to conduct OJT sessions and ensure the results are captured (no more clipboards, or notepads). With SuccessFactors, you can easily access your task checklist to view the identified responsibilities necessary to complete training. You can also manage the checklist and easily record completion of steps.
- Manage Training Requests (Before they become a logjam) – Whether you’re traveling on business, or home on the sofa – you can quickly easily manage training requests and schedules. With SuccessFactors you can register for scheduled offerings, and approve/ deny training requests from your mobile device.
- Stay Informed and Connected – With social and informal learning, you will never miss never miss an important conversation. With SuccessFactors Learning, you can setup push notifications for immediate notification when someone sends you a direct message. Whether as part of a blended learning solution, or as a part of a stand-alone, dedicated learning community — active conversation keeps people engaged, and you can make comments on the fly by adding and sharing tips, tricks, or something you just discovered.
- Continuous Project Collaboration – with mobile learning you can keep collaboration going. SuccessFactors Learning provides the ability to capture, and share videos and documents. You can upload images and video of white boards, prototypes, product displays and complex procedures (just to name a few). Plus, you have access to all your groups and projects (and the tools to move them forward). All available on your mobile device.
More Than Dangerous Miles and Wasted Minutes– Make Mobile Matter
In your business, discourage your workforce from using their mobile devices while driving. Encourage smart mobile usage and solutions, like with SuccessFactors Learning – where employees, and your business can really get moving.
Want to learn more?
Join us for one of our upcoming webinars:
- September 25, in Conjunction with HR.Com –
Focused on Mobile Learning: http://www.hr.com/stories/1377538218919, and on:
- October 16, for our 21st Century
Workforce Series – this one focused on Learning and Development: http://info.successfactors.com/21stCenturyLearningandDevelopment1016_s.html
Follow SAP ERP HCM on Twitter: @SAPHCM