Configuring And/Or Prerequisites in SuccessFactors Learning
One of the most common definite requirements in any LMS workshop is ‘A way to check the knowledge of a user in particular are before another course is offered’. Success Factors addresses it as something called as Prerequisite. In LMS, a Prerequisite is a requirement to be met before registering for another course. Multiple prerequisites can exist for one single course individually or categorized into groups. Among the prerequisites, another requirement is to have an OR condition among prerequisites. That means to take a particular training; a user should have completed either of the groups of learning items.
For example – To undertake Performance management mastery training, a user should have completed either introduction to mastery OR SF core training. This feature to select between two requirements or group of requirements was not available prior to 1302 release.
From 1302 release Successfactors added this feature making it more easier to toggle between two requirements.
The following is how simple Success Factors have made the procedure of Adding a AND/OR condition for Prerequisite, for an item created, making the life of Administrators and decision makers very easy.
How to Configure:
Sample Scenario: For a user to be able to register for a course named Training material test, he/she has to complete either ESS or MSS Training. ESS Training has two courses – ESS Time Entry and ESS Support Services Procedure. MSS Training has one course – MSS Time Approval.
Navigate to Prerequisites under the Related portlet on the left bottom of the Item details screen.
Click on “Create New Group” to create group of prerequisites.
Create Group ESS and add prerequisites
- Create New Group
- Pop-up screen come to enter new group title
- Enter Title – ESS and click OK
A New Group for Prerequisites is created.
B. Add Prerequisites
- Pop-up screen come to search and select prerequisites for this GROUP.
- Enter Search criteria, search and then select a prerequisite
- Two items are selected and added
Create Group MSS and add items
- Add new group MSS by clicking on Create New Group option
- Add prerequisites for MSS GROUP
Click Save to save the prerequisites
Create a schedule offering for the original item
The Item is Scheduled
Step 4 :
- Login as User
- Search catalog for the Scheduled offering (Test Training)
- Click on “item” to navigate to detailed information for the item
- The system opens the detailed screen. Observe that the system says “Choice of 2 groups’
- Click on the “Triangle” button to open the Prerequisites.
Validate that system provides 2 prerequisite paths to this item. Observe the word OR.
If the user chooses to go Via ESS group path – they have to complete both the items in ESS to complete the prerequisites
Raj Jogam – SAP/Successfactors Lead Consultant
Pavan Parimi – Successfactors Consultant