Varian Medical Systems is in the business of saving lives. Varian specializes in Oncology, X-Ray, and Imaging Systems. Over 250,000 patients per day are treated with Varian Medical devices. If you or someone you know has been treated for cancer, there is a good chance a Varian Medical device was used.
Varian was facing three challenges:
1) Restriction of Hazardous Substance Directive (RoHS) adopted in the European Union,
2) Extreme amount of manual changes that would result from this, and
3) Paper based processes for handoff from engineering to manufacturing as well as the entire manufacturing execution process.
They implemented SAP Product & REACH Compliance for managing RoHS compliance and SAP Product Life Cycle Management to help convert the manual design processes into electronic processes for engineering and hand-off to manufacturing.
One of the greatest challenges they still faced was paper based manual processes on the shop floor. They needed to replace paper based execution with simple electronic shop floor processes that could even accommodate high turnover in variable workers. They also needed on-demand product genealogy and traceability for complaint manufacturing in the regulated industry of medical devices.
Varian turned to SAP Manufacturing Execution (SAP ME) for:
- Paperless Manufacturing including production and non-conformace labeling, device records, and validation processes for compliance.
- Real-time Device History Record (DHR) with serialized traceability
- Process Enforcement and Control
- Integration to Calibration and Final Test Systems
- Automated and manual data collection, including SPC
- Training, TQC, and eSign process checks
- Serialized Component Assembly, including rework
- Cycle Time Analysis (Active and Queue)
- New User Experience – A visual experience that even high churn flexible employees could use with ease
To lower total cost of ownership (TCO), they leveraged the pre-built integration of SAP Manufacturing solutions for ERP management of materials, BOM’s, planned/production orders to shop floor orders, automated backflush and integration to calibration and testing equipment. SAP’s manufacturing solutions incorporate ‘store and forward’ technology to help keep the factory running in the face of external technical challenges.
Free webcast – Driving Integrated Compliant Manufacturing for medical devices
Register here to join us on Thursday Sept 12 at 2:00PM EDT / 11:00AM PDT to hear about Varian using Using SAP Solutions and the Integrated Delivery Of Atos and USDM to Navigate the Manufacturing Systems Landscape
It the meantime
…. learn more about SAP Manufacturing Solutions at www.sap.com/manufacturing.
…. listen below to Varian describe how they met their business challenges to other companies at a recent customer networking event.