Welcome to a new DSLayered channel, where we will be interviewing customers about their analytics and business intelligence implementations, challenges and thoughts. The first customer is Sealanes, who focus on the food service industry and are based in Western Australia. They don’t run any SAP technology except for BusinessObjects.
What follows is a series of four videos where we hear from the Chief Financial Officer, John Bramah, and the primary Business Analyst, Leon Gordon, on why they embarked on a BI journey, and what they’ve experienced over the past few years.
The technical solution that Sealanes are using today is:
– SAP BusinessObjects Edge 4.0 (primarily Web Intelligence with UNX multi-source universes)
– SAP Data Services Edge 4.0
– Microsoft SQL Server 2008
They have three main subject areas in their data warehouse, namely Sales, General Ledger and Warehouse. These are fed from two main transactional systems, a legacy UNIX-based ERP system, and a custom-developed Warehouse Management system running on the Amazon EC2 cloud platform.
On to the interviews… (I’ve split up the videos into a few questions each)
Chief Financial Officer
- Video 1
- History of Sealanes
- Reasons for starting a BI project
- Key goals for the BI project
- Video 2
- Key milestones that Sealanes have reached
Tangible results that have been achieved
- Video 3
- Has BI given Sealanes an industry advantage
- What’s next for BI at Sealanes?
- Previous experience with BI tools
- BI solution overview
- BI solution details
- BI community engagement
Thanks again to John, Leon and Sealanes for agreeing to be interviewed and allowing us to share their story.
Feedback or questions? Comment below or engage on Twitter @dslayered.