Testing plays a very vital role in projects and the test results will help in taking key decision for project next steps. The test type (manual or automation) will depend upon three major factors.
If there is a crunch in time or test resources then we have to look for test automation.
There are lot many test automation tools for SAP, out of which QTP is one well known product. SAP provides two QTP 11 licenses as part of Enterprise support or PSLE engagement (the license cost is bundled as part of support and no extra fee need to be paid) for more details refer SMP-> SAP Solution Manager -> Integrated Tools -> HP QTP for SAP Enterprise Support and PSLE Customers.
The budget aspect is covered as it’s given by SAP with no extra cost.
Now the next question is, already have QTP and how to integrate this with Solution Manager? This is covered in next part of this secession.
This article scope is limited to SolMan 7.1 SP05 integration with UFT 11.5.
Unified Functional Testing (UFT) is QTP 11.5 version. With UFT HP had bundled their Functional Testing Tool (QTP) & Service Test (used for Web Services testing) in one single tool (UFT). The below matrix explains the compatibility.
i.Settings on SolMan system:
I. Set external tool parameters in the ECCUST_ET table
This step enables Solution Manager to communicate with UFT. (You perform this procedure only once in the system.)
1. Navigate to transaction SE17. The General Table Display window opens.
2. In the Table Name box, enter
ECCUST_ET and press ENTER.
3. The Display Table ECCUST_ET window opens and displays an empty table with the required parameter names.
4. Enter the values exactly as shown in below pic:
Note: You can also use the function module SET_EXTERNAL_TOOL to create entries in the customizing table.
II. Add necessary roles or profiles to Solution Manager-UFT Users
Make sure users have permission to:
Run Solution Manager scripts
Edit Solution Manager scripts
Work with an external tool (UFT) in integrated mode
Connect to Solution Manager from an external tool (UFT) in standalone mode
Along with RFC and Trusted RFC roles
Note: If encountered with any authorization issues use system trace – Authorization check (Transaction ST01) to find the missing objects.
III. Register UFT to work with Solution Manager
To enable UFT to communicate with Solution Manager, you must register UFT and then verify the registration. You perform this procedure only once in the system.
1. Navigate to transaction SPRO, click SAP Reference IMG, and browse to SAP Solution Manager > Capabilities (Optional) > Test Management > External Integration > External Test Tool with eCATT > Register Test Tool.
2. Click New Entries.
3. Enter the values as shown below:
5. Click Display and verify that a row exists with the following information if not pls. maintain / modify:
UFT is now registered to work with SolMan.
6. avigate to transaction SPRO, click SAP Reference IMG, and browse to SAP Solution Manager > Capabilities (Optional) > Test Management > External Integration > External Test Tool with eCATT > Generate Users.
Execute both the above steps.
Ensure that user ECATT_ET_USR is created and assigned with role SAP_ECET and profile S_ECET_RFC.
ii. Satelite system settings:
The UFT scripts are stored as eCATT’s scripts in SolMan hence we need to make necessary settings to run eCATT in satellite system refer SAP note 519858.
I. Client settings for eCATT
1. Start transaction SM31
2. Enter table T000 and choose Maintain. You will be warned that the table is client-independent – ignore this warning.
3. Double-click the relevant client in the list.
4. Under Restrictions, choose a setting that allows CATT/eCATT in that client.
II. Enable scripting (if required).
1. In transaction RZ11 set sapgui/user_scripting to TRUE (see note 480149).
2. At the user’s front-end machine, the 620 or newer SAP GUI for Windows must have been installed. Choose Customizing of local layout -> Options… – >Scripting, and then select Enable Scripting.
iii. Trouble Shooting:
Sometimes the testing tool will not be launched for this we need to trouble shoot from both SolMan and test tool side.
I. SolMan side Trouble Shooting:
1. Most of the times the errors will be at authorization level so for the first time check or setup from an ADMIN login to avoide authorization issues.
2. To be sure of authorization issues use system trace (transaction ST01).
3. Check the eCATT log for other errors.
II. UFT Log:
you can get more details from UFT by follow the below steps:
1. In UFT (QTP), select “Tools -> Options” and highlight the eCATT section.
2. Click button to open the “eCATT Trace Options” dialog.
3. Set the Trace level to “High”.
4. Specify a file name and location for the generated trace log file.
5. Click to accept the changes.
6. Close QTP, open “mic.ini” file from <QTP>\bin folder in any text editor and make sure that LogLevel=3 under [eCATT] section.
7. Reproduce the problem and see the generated log file for error detils.
Hope this helps users in setting up UFT (QTP 11.5) to SolMan 7.1 smoothly.
The above info helps to make settings on SolMan side but for settings on UFT ref. Blog Settings for SolMan Logon in UFT