Data Geek Challenge – Olympics through the ages
The Data Geek Challenge is brilliant and a great way to get people to try out the new platform SAP Lumira. I must say I really enjoyed it and within 10 minutes of starting I was sitting down playing around with some cool data.
So for me this was a lot of fun, I chose to go with the Olympics historical data and even with that I was wishing for more data to play with. I opted to create 4 charts:
- A line chart indicating the collation between the number of participants over the years v’s the increase in the number of sports. Needless to say – they are related with some interesting irregularities around the 1912 games – can you guess why?
- A graph showing the number of male participants over the years – rising as you would imagine up to 1110 in 2008. There was a massive spike in 1920 to 1255 male participants though – incorrect figure perhaps?
- A graph showing the number of female athletes per year rising as you would imagine after the small start of 11 in 1900
- A map and circle chart showing where geographically there was the most attendees of the games
- And finally, focusing on the 2008 games – a word chart of the most successful gold medallists
So, all in all, great fun and only took 20 minutes which to me points to a great and easy to use platform. Well done guys!