What’s new in Process Orchestration 7.31 SP08/7.4 SP03
Enhancements to Conditional Start scenarios
- Shared trigger scenarios
Before this SP8, triggers could not be used with conditional start scenarios. As of SP8 it is possible to share the same message trigger between conditional start and non-conditional start processes.
- Additional check for shared trigger restriction in conditional start scenarios and descriptive error messages when activation of a conditional start process definition fails due to shared triggers
A message trigger cannot be shared between several active conditional start process definitions. During deployment, the system automatically checks whether there is already an active conditional start process definition that uses the same message trigger. If so, the activation of the new conditional start process definition is prohibited. A message is displayed explaining why the activation is not allowed.
- New method in BPM public API for checking whether process definition uses conditional start
A developer can use the BPM public API to check whether a process definition is a conditional start process definition. This check prevents the developer from unnecessarily invoking the startProcess method.
- Process initiator info for conditional start leftover handling
If a message must be resent, the original process initiator is still displayed to the administrator, rather than the BPM service user (system user).
Read more in SAP documentation: Conditional Start enhancements.
Enhanced error messages on accessing tasks
- Attachments and notes are now visible in SAP NetWeaver Administrator
UME action: SAP_BPM_DISPLAY_ATTACHMENTS_NOTES
If the user is not the task owner, she/he must be either process admin/task owner or have SAP_BPM_CTX_SUPER_ADMIN action
Read more in SAP documentation: Attachments and notes.
- Adding Administrators to a running process instance is now enabled
You could now add user, group of role. This is especially important for long-running processes where new users and roles have to be added as the process runs.
Prerequisite: to add new users, the process instance must be in suspended and then resumed again.
Restrictions: adding new user, group of role has to be made in the process composer in the design time and then a new version should be deployed. After that, the newly added user/s will be able to see the instances only for newly created instances. Removing users or roles from a process is currently not enabled.
Also check SAP documentation: Adding Administrators to process instances.
- Displaying Task Initiators
- Task Initiator can be defined in SAP NetWeaver BPM Developer Studio via input mapping for human activity
- Process initiator is now available as process instance attribute in context, and can be used for mapping
- For rework steps, initiator could be the actual owner of the approval step
- Users can now forward tasks to other users
– Task must be reserved (claimed) first to activate the Forward button
– Target user must have BPEM_END_USER role
Enhancements on upgrade paths and support for SAP HANA
- Upgrading from AEX to Process Orchestration
- Additional usage types supported for Process Orchestration systems
- Adobe Document Services (ADS)
- Development Infrastructure (DI)
- Guided Procedures (GP) – compatibility usage type only
- Extended PAM for SAP NetWeaver 7.40 enabling SAP NetWeaver BPM installation on SAP HANA
We welcome you to review the road maps of both SAP NetWeaver PI (last update Q2 / 2103) and BPM (last updated Q3 / 2013) which are available on SAP Service Marketplace > Product and solution road maps > Database & Technology.
You can also access road map sessions replays: SAP NetWeaver BPM and SAP NetWeaver PI.
If you have missed it, here is how you can access the Webcast replay: Roadmap of Process Orchestration with SAP.
Also check the Q&A from the Process Orchestration Webcast Series that SAP delivered in June. In this blog you will find a handful of answers to many important questions for all customers running or who consider running BPM, PI and Orchestration scenarios. Also check the related blogs. Replays of all 5 webcasts will be available until the end of 2013 to all registrants.
quite an informative...we were bit torn between going for 7.31SP8 and 7.4SP3..this should settle the dust now. Thanks Christian !!
Great information. Christian, thanks for sharing the new features in a video.
Thanks, a good blog, thanks
Nice Blog Thanks Christian..
Hello Christian Loos,
Perfect document to understand the concept of " Process Orchestration in SAP PI 7.31". Very nicely written articles. It has been summarized very nicely. .
Thanks for the SAP Notes and real time examples used. . .
The message was very useful. I learnt the key views. . .
Thanks for sharing about SAP PO information. It is very useful for my projects.