In this document, I would like to familiarize all the readers with an overview of SDK (Solution studio for OnDemand Solutions => SAP Business ByDesign & Customer OnDemand or Cloud for Customers). Below is a quick outline of what the readers will get to read in this article:
- Introduction to SAP Customer OnDemand
- Development Tool for SAP Customer OnDemand
- System Landscape and Requirement
- SAP ByDesign Studio(SDK) Architecture
- Programming language for SAP ByDesign Studio
- Development Scope of Solution Studio
1. Introduction to SAP Customer OnDemand
SAP provides an OnDemand platform for organizations to manage their internal CRM, Customer Support processes, as well as connect to customers, this solution is referred to as SAP Customer OnDemand.
SAP Customer OnDemand can be purchased along with one or more of the following separate products:
SAP Sales OnDemand
Instant, efficient collaboration with team members and sales network
SAP Service OnDemand
Resolve customer issues via Social Media, Email, Chat and Phone channels.
SAP Social OnDemand
With Social OnDemand companies can respond appropriately when people are talking about their brand and offerings online.
2. Development Tool for SAP Customer OnDemand
Before you can begin administrating, developing, or testing solutions in the software development kit (SDK), you have to create development users (SDK administration and developer user roles) and business users. You create these users in SAP’s on-demand solution.
For the Development Tool we need some pre-requisite as mentioned below:
- Customer OnDemand Tenant URL
- Username and Password
- If Proxy then proxy URL and its authorization access.
- After that we have to enter the details in SAP Solution OnDemand Studio and we can access the Repository for the given tenant.
- Go to Menu Administration > Options and Settings > Option > SAP > General
- Log On to Repository using Menu Administration > Log On
- On clicking Log On, a Popup opens: ‘Connect to Repository’. Select the system from the drop down and enter the authorization details.
The System field below should contain the the system which you configured in the Connectivity section (Administration > Options and Settings > Option > SAP > General)
- After connecting to the Repository Explorer, you see the below screen:
3. System Landscape and Requirement
Below is the list of pre-requisites for runnning a Customer OnDemand solution:
- SAP Customer OnDemand tenant URL
- Microsoft Windows XP/7 (32 Bit)
- Internet Explorer 8 / Firefox / Chrome
- Microsoft Silverlight (Version 4.0 and above )
- Microsoft Visual Studio Shell
- Microsoft Solution OnDemand Studio 1302 and above ( SDK)
4. SAP ByDesign Studio(SDK) Architecture
The Architecture of SAP Business By Design is Organized in three tier,
- Database and Search Engine
- Application Server
- Front end
- The database and search engine consist of data store for each tenant and repository data store that is shared across all tenant.
- SAP Business ByDesign Front end provides wizard that support the development and load the repository content of the solution.
- For UI Development different specialized tools are linked into the front end such as UI Designer for Standard SAP Business ByDesign UI development , Adobe Forms for form development and UI Design Time Tool for Crystal Report and dashboard.
- SAP Business ByDesign studio front end connects when started to the repository of SAP back end system.
- The Studio keeps a local copy of the development resource for performance improvement , but the original is always stored in the repository.
- The Repository service is a central service that manages the access to the repository data store.
- Design time and run-time tools work together with the repository that serves as the central component for managing resource.
- Compiler gets activated at run-time source from the developed entities. When a business object is activated a service provide class is generated and stored in database table for this activation its load the class when application started.
- Business object specifies business logic and data required for a business scenario. A business application for a particular business scenario may required may business objects.
- Business Configuration influences business objects and business adaptation. It manages the activation of web services, UIs and forms.
5. Programming language for SAP ByDesign Studio
SDK is divided into two different application : ByDesign Studio and UI Designer. In ByDesign Studio you declare the business objects with the BODL( Business object Declaration Language) and you code action with the ABSL( Advance Business Scripting language) for business logic.
The Second part of the SDK is UI Designer. It can be opened within the Business ByDesign Studio. It is not an automatic application. With the designer you can create and edit screens for your own or for existing business objects. It has also his own scripting language SAPRuby, a ruby based scripting language to write UI logic.
SAP ByDesign Support 3 Languages.
- ABSL (Advance Business Scripting Language)
- BODL (Business Object Description Language)
- ABSL (Advance Business Scripting Language)
- By using ABSL we are creating action in ByDesign.
- ABSL offers a number of structures similar to other programming languages.
- Please note that for each is the only available loop in ABSL. There are no for or while loops available. This can be a problem for more complex algorithms, because for each loops are designed to iterate over collections and not for anything else.
- BODL (Business Object Declaration Language)
- By using BODL create business object in ByDesign, creating business object nothing but declaring variables, creating association, rising messages and declaring node in business objects.
- BODL does not know the concept of inheritance, but it provides an alternative… so-called associations. With associations, you can embed existing business objects or simply pieces of business objects into your business objects
- By using SAPRuby we can creating dynamic behavior of controls at runtime.
6. Development Scope of Solution Studio
Following are the few major task which can be perfomred using SDK:
- Business Object Creation
- Implementing Business Logic Extensions
- Business Object Adding Field Extensions
- Adding Embedded Component and Mashup to User Interface.
- Business Task Management
- Life Cycle Management
- Output Management
- External Web Services
- Implementing Number Ranges
Hope everyone finds this article informative!