I can has Idea?
Now that the clever headline (*) got you here, let’s talk about some “submishunz” on Idea Place that totally deserve your attention and an up-vote, shall we? In no particular order I present to you:
- Enable “Insert picture” button in comments submitted by Steffi Warnecke. If we had this on SCN, you would totally be able to comment on this blog with your own funny picture.
- Track Tags in Communications by Jason Lax. Don’t know about you, but my own Communications page is just a hot mess of all kinds of information streams, so really any improvement in this would be very welcome.
- Limit number of open discussions allowed by Craig S. Such limit actually existed on the “old SDN” (it was 10 open questions, I believe) and I’m still confused as to why we have to submit something that just got lost in migration as some new “idea”. But if that’s what it takes – heck, it’s not like I’ve never had an argument myself with the users regarding “break-fix vs. enhancement”.
- A related entry, also from FF: Prompt or message indicating number of open discussions. If you’re wondering what’s the big whoop about the open discussions, please read the blog How to close a discussion and why by Jürgen L.
- Items with no replies by yours truly. This is another “lost in translation” item (a forum filter that we had on SDN).
- Despite being once rejected, my good old idea Dislike/Thumbs down button has been gathering steam again lately. Know that if you ever clicked thumbs up / thumbs down on a YouTube video, you’re legally obligated to go vote on this idea.
- Another very cool up-and-coming idea (also mine, mine, mine!) for a new Insufficient detail button in Discussions. Read more on its origins in the comments to the blog Wouldn’t it be Great if People Wanted to Get Their Questions Answered – more rant by Neal Wilhite.
- Update: just posted new idea Report Abuse – add ‘Failed to search’. Not sure for how long we were going to pretend this didn’t exist on SDN and was not the most frequent reason for hitting that button.
- Update 10/2/13: Rename Report Abuse button as Alert Moderator idea has been liberated from the moderator area and is available for everyone to vote on.
Note that I have not included many great ideas that have already passed the ‘Submitted’ stage and (keeping my fingers crossed!) might be implemented at some point. Here is a link to the other ideas that are in ‘Submitted’ status. Please feel free to check it out and vote/comment. Note that now we need at least 15 ‘up’ votes to get an idea considered by SAP.
Yes, there is still no auto-logon on Idea Place (although you may logon with a certificate and S-user) and its’ intuitive and friendly user interface looks like it was brought to you by the creators of the SAP GRC system. But if we don’t vote on ideas then they won’t be implemented for sure, so let’s try to make some lemonade with what we have!
Disclaimer: the image used is my original compilation based on an image with ‘free to use and modify’ license, according to Google search. The image of The Most Interesting Man in the World from Dos Equis commercials (played ad nauseam on TV in the US) is used here in accordance with fair use license for the purposes of parody.