Setting up BW Near-Line Storage with SAP Sybase IQ
It feels strange for me to make a post in the BW section as I feel horribly un-qualified to do this 😛
What we did was use the new and now native NLS functionality in BW 7.3 SP9 to archive data off into SAP Sybase IQ. This is something that I have been talking about for years (see this blog post dated 12 months ago) as I have had exposure to the PBS NLS add-on from my Sybase background.
You will be glad to know that the results were simply awesome and I feel that by implementing NLS now as part of your BW strategy could benefit customers in a few ways, namely:
- Get the immediate performance benefit of using SAP Sybase IQ ( ** spoiler alert ** SAP Sybase IQ was +- 300 % faster off the DSO level compared to BW running off an InfoCube)
- Shrink the size of the database under-lying your BW environment. This has many benefits:
- Smaller environment to query on = better performance
- Smaller environment to back up
- Etc etc
- Get customers ready for HANA and know that you have a seamless and slick archiving solution in place with no performance trade-offs. This also means that you do not have to panic about your HANA environment running away from you.
I would love to hear every-ones thoughts/opinions on this and I hope I got all the BW terminology correct 😉
Get the popcorn ready and enjoy the video