Below is the easy to remember short description of Eclipse IDE
(E)ditor for many programming language
(L)ess Typing with Code Completion
(I)ntegrated Development Environment
Note: ℹ This is not an official expansion of Eclipse.
If you are still wondering what does it means. Please read ahead.
Following are the advantages of using Eclipse as Development tool.
- providing an open and extensible development environment – open plug-in architecture provides suitable platform for extending it with more specific features and combining it together.
- cover full/holistic software life cycle (they can develop, build, deploy, and execute applications directly from the – design (modeling), construction (coding) and maintenance (deploying, debugging, monitoring, testing..) tools..
- Integrated environment – seamless integration
It openness and inter operability through standards and facilitate open source integration.
Following are the Components of Eclipse Platform
- Eclipse SDK
- Eclipse JDT
- Eclipse PDE
- Eclipse Platform (RCP)
- Eclipse UI
- Eclipse File System
- Eclipse Runtime
- Eclipse Modeling Framework
The SAP Eclipse Story – http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-devstudio?rid=/library/uuid/10c671f2-6364-2a10-8d96-8b3145d4a478]
- Eclipse IDE Tutorial – http://www.vogella.de/articles/Eclipse/article.html
- OSGi with Eclipse Equinox – Tutorial –http://www.vogella.de/articles/OSGi/article.html
- Eclipse Plugin Development Tutorial = http://www.vogella.de/articles/EclipsePlugIn/article.html
- Eclipse RCP Tutorial- http://www.vogella.de/articles/EclipseRCP/article.html
- Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF) – Tutorial – http://www.vogella.de/articles/EclipseEMF/article.html