This paper is divided into three parts:
- Why Occupactional Health and Safety is important in Mining Industries
- Suggested measures for reducing Safety incidents
- How SAP can help inproving the Safety incidents
Why Occupational, Health and Safety (OHS) is important in Mining Industry?
Safe and Efficient Extraction and Processing is one of the major goal of a mining companies.The dangers associated with the mining operations are more since they have to operate on remote and less hospitable regions. In order to know the severity we need to imagine the life of mine worker who risks their lives for achieving the company’s objective.(Click on the following link to see the video of world’s deepest mine Tau Tona mine)
So it becomes company’s responsibility to have a proper safety system in place which ensures the Safe work environment in mines. From the corporate point of view, mounting safety incidents do more than affecting corporate reputation. They impact a company’s license to operate and the ability to attract and retain talent, particularly when employees must deal with the serious injury or loss of a colleague. In some cases, companies may even be exposed to serious penalties for violations that result in injuries or death, as well as criminal liability to corporations, their representatives and those who direct the work of others, including contractors and that why OHS becomes a strategic goal for many mining companies.
Suggested measures for reducing Safety incidents
- Safety culture
Although there are numerous legislations governing OHS in different countries, many companies are considering OHS responsibility more than a mere compliance of laws. Many companies apply the concept of Maturity Models to this area in order to create a safety culture that not only comply with legal requirements but also helps in developing a safe workplace. The following figure will explain the model more effectively.
- Using Advance analytics in OHS:
With advanced analytics and predictive modeling, companies can take an exceptionally wide range of contributing factors into account – including equipment operation and process data, vehicle telemetry, weather, geospatial conditions, socio-demographic factors, training completed, aspects of the job site, maintenance schedules, production measures and more. The resulting information and insight positions companies to identify at-risk segments and activities more accurately and structure safety programs to minimize incidents at their most likely points of occurrence.
- Using technologies like Augmented reality in OHS:
Augmented reality (AR) is a live, direct or indirect, view of a physical, real world environment whose elements are augmented (or supplemented) by computer-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data. It is different from virtual reality which replaces the real world with simulated one. With the help of advanced AR technology (e.g. adding computer vision and object recognition) the information about the surrounding real world of the user becomes interactive and digitally manipulable.
In OHS context the devices with augmented realities can be used in following ways
- It warns the worker about the vulnerabilities surrounding them of which he was unaware or ignored. It will replace the manual paper based instructions by on screen information which will be more helpful while working on site.
- it collects the information about the surroundings which helps in better investigation of the incidents.
- By informing authorities actions can be taken more quickly and in case any incidents occur it is possible to rescue workers before any fatal accidents.
- It also helps in making training more effective as it allows the training to occur in real world environment but can simulate virtual scenarios.
- Why Design thinking is important in designing a solution or process for OHS?
According to one research it was found that most of the incidents were due to unsafe acts which can be best prevented through proper training and enforcement. Since human element is very critical in this situation it is important to empathize the culture and the environment of mine workplace because the the work environment of mine worker is very different from the office environment. Further cultural and educational background of mine workers is also different. Design thinking helps executives in designing a process or a solution which takes into consideration above things and applies the technologies more creatively and appropriately in the situation.
SAP Solution for OHS:
- EHS and Analytics: SAP Provides varieties of solutions for OHS which includes HANA for predictive analysis, mobile solution for incident management.
- Design Thinking: SAP also helps companies by providing Design thinking workshops which enables them to come up with innovative solutions
Design Thinking case study of an Oil and Gas Company: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cVIUKg32BM
- Augmented Reality: SAP has partnered with vuzix to bring augmented reality solution for enterprise. However currently it is not available for OHS but in future it may be available.
- About design thinking http://www.sap.com/campaigns/2013_05_design_thinking/index.epx
- About Augmented Reality :
Note: Although I have tried to verify all the correctness of contents given in this document.Please let me know if there is any errors or misstatements or any exaggeration from my side .Any suggestions on how can i improve this article are warmly welcomed