Analyzing database connection problems.
Analyzing Database Connection Problems.
This document is just a compiled list of most common connection problems.
Following next steps might save you a lot of troubles.
Resolving connection issues on machine where the IDM console is installed.
1. Check if the certain database client application is installed on same machine where the IDM is installed and access to the database server is granted (especially if you are using Oracle DB);
2. Check if client version (i.e. 32bit or 64bit) is compatible with installed IDM version.
3. Check if proper OLEDB provider was installed on same machine where the IDM is installed (especially if you are using Oracle DB);
4. Check if OLEDB provider version (i.e. 32bit or 64bit) is compatible with current IDM version.
5. Check if proper JAVA SDK version is installed according to installed IDM version documentation (i.e. 32bit or 64bit). It should be JAVA SDK version JAVA RT version will not be sufficient.
6. Do not forget to set the JAVA class path in IDM configuration to point to a proper JAVA SDK installation.
7. Depending on JAVA SDK installation version and type and DB type version and installation please configure IDM to point to a proper JDBC driver version.
8. If you are running any firewalls – check connection type, port and application availability on each machine (client & server);
9. If in your connection string you are using the short host name (i.e. only “hostname” from “hostname.company.com”), than first try to replace it with full host name, and if this still doesn’t help replace it with IP address of the host.
10. After each change please rebuild the dispatches scripts, stop all dispatchers, uninstall all dispatchers, install all dispatchers again and start all dispatchers. If you don’t follow this steps your changes may not be applied properly, so all your following tests might be performed with inconsistent DB connection configuration and at certain point of time some or all of them might stop working.
Resolving connection issues on remote dispatchers.
1. Follow the steps 1 through 9 from previous topic.
2. Change the path in the dispatcher configuration according changes you’ve made in previous step.
3. After the changes try to start the dispatcher in test mode with check configuration option.
4. If previous step were successful continue with next step, but if it failed analyze the error and return to step 1 or 2.
5. Now try to run the dispatcher in test mode.
6. If previous step were successful continue with next step, but if it failed some settings are still wrong or some of prerequisites are missing so return to step 1.
7. Stop the dispatcher, uninstall the dispatcher, install the dispatcher again and start the dispatcher. If you don’t follow this steps your changes may not be applied properly, so all your following tests might be performed with inconsistent DB connection configuration and at certain point of time some or all of them might stop working.
Hope I’ve been helpful, but still if you have something to add or you have any questions, please feel free to post them here. Let’s make this document better together. Feel free to share you experience.