When looking at Business Process Analytics in SAP Solution Manager you basically have two ingredients
- Functional scope of the application itself (see previous blogs about Business Process Analytics and new features with support package 5 and possibly I will summarize the features soon again with some other words and illustrations)
Key figure content with several hundred key figures available for all SAP Business Suite products.
The key figure content is constantly updated with every ST-A/PI release (or support package)
- New key figures with ST-A/PI 01M support package 1, e.g. new CRM Marketing content
- New key figures with ST-A/PI 01N, e.g. new lead time key figures
- New key figures with ST-A/PI 01P, e.g. further lead time key figures
- New key figures with ST-A/PI 01Q,, e.g. new FSCM content & new key figure types
- New key figures with ST-A/PI 01Q support package 1, e.g. new exception key figures for CO-PC
Now with so many key figures at hand it might be easy to lose track of what the different key figures are good for, what is the respective main use case and how are those key figures perhaps different from other SAP or non-SAP applications?!
Overview: 5 different key figure types
Currently we provide basically 5 different key figure types that you see listed below.
- Throughput figures are simply measuring how many documents, line items or schedule lines have been created/posted within a given time frame. That helps creating quantity structures and load profiles for your SAP system. Other customers find those key figures mostly interesting during GoLive situations in order to understand if a new location or business process is achieving the anticipated throughput.
- Backlog figures are checking for business documents, line items or schedule lines that are not yet in a final processing status or did not pass an important process milestone and where the corresponding planned processing date lies already in the past, i.e. the (business) transaction is overdue for processing. Backlog figures are the most important and most used key figures by Business Process Analytics customers as those key figures are indicating process weaknesses and improvement potentials. They can be used for GoLive situations in order to quickly learn if the GoLive is successful not only from a technical but also from a functional perspective. The other main use case is the usage for supporting process excellence/improvement activities within a customer organization. Several customers are also using backlog figures in order to support formal (internal) process audit activties. Backlog key figures can lso be used for “by-products”, i.e. supporting archiving activities as the backlog key figures can indicate the reason why less data is archived than expected. And even migration projects can benefit as you might migrate less data if you do not take over old, outdated backlog data from one system to the other.
- Exception key figures are collecting error messages from different (technical) error logs and bring this data together with business context data. While backlog key figures can already give a hint as to what the root cause of a problem might be, the exception key figures are typically telling you the corresponding root cause right away just by reading the error message. Although this key figure type is rather new it is currently the hottest topic by our customers and have the chance to challenge backlog key figures as the most important key figure type. Exception key figures support all use cases of backlog key figures as well.
- Lead time key figures are measuring the average time it took from a defined start point in a business process to the corresponding end point.As long as document backlog exists in the very same area it is no treally meaningful to look at lead time measurements. Hence lead time key figures are more complementing the backlog and exception key figures and are typically used at later stages during a process excellence/improvement project to also improve the last mile.
- Automation rate key figures are providing a ratio of how many documents have been processed automatically vs manually within a given time frame. Automation rate key figures are (like lead time key figures) complementing the backlog and exception key figures and are typically used at later stages during a process excellence/improvement project.
You can find all necessary information about Business Process Analytics in this document. More information on Business Process Improvement for SAP solutions can be found here.
Frequently Asked Questions about Business Process Monitoring and Business Process Analytics are answered under http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SM/FAQ+Business+Process+Monitoring and
The following blogs (in chronological order) provide further details about Business Process Analytics and Business Process Monitoring functionalities within the SAP Solution Manager.
- New Business Process Monitoring functionalities in SAP Solution Manager – ALE / IDoc Monitoring
- New Business Process Monitoring functionalities in SAP Solution Manager – qRFC Monitoring
- New Business Process Monitoring Functionalities in SAP Solution Manager – functionalities For Inconsistencies in SAP Solution Manager
- SAP Business Process Monitoring within SAP Solution Manager
- New Business Process Monitoring functionalities in SAP Solution Manager – BPMon Trend Analysis Reporting
- Best Practice: Business Process Monitoring for Manufacturing
- Best Practice: Business Process Monitoring for Procure to Pay
- Best Practice: Business Process Monitoring for Order to Cash
- Business Process Monitoring – Template configuration available for download
- FAQs about Business Process Monitoring
- Typical Use Cases for Business Process Monitoring in SAP Solution Manager
- New Business Process Monitoring functionalities in SAP Solution Manager – Customer Exit
- New key figure catalog for Business Process Monitoring available
- Why SAP offers different tools for Business Process Monitoring & Business Process Optimization
- Create your own auto-reaction messages in Business Process Monitoring via BAdI exit
- Protect your SAP ERP investment & improve your core business processes
- Refresh Solution Landscape cache for Business Process Operation Work Center
- Create your own customer-specific key figure for Business Process Monitoring within 5 minutes
- Best Practice: BW Process Chain monitoring with SAP Solution Manager – Part 1
- Best Practice: BW Process Chain monitoring with SAP Solution Manager – Part 2: Setup Example
- New key figures for Business Process Monitoring in SAP Solution Manager, especially for CRM Marketing
- New functionality “Business Process Analytics” – how to improve your business processes
- New key figures for Business Process Monitoring in SAP Solution Manager, especially Lead Time measurements
- Traditional Business KPI approach vs Business Process Monitoring
- Systematic errors vs real exceptions or improving efficiency vs effectiveness
- Before you get started with SAP HANA…you should also consider cleaning-up your backend system first
- Best Practice: Business Process Monitoring for CRM Sales
- SAP Business Process Operations Extensions at SAP TechEd 2011
- Business Process Operations dashboards – ALL AT A GLANCE
- Business Process Operations dashboards – behind the scenes
- Customer testimonials on Business Process Analytics
- Customer Exit: Create your own key figure for BPMon AND Business Process Analytics
- Heads-up: Setup environment of BPMon & Analytics changes with SolMan 7.1 SP5
- New key figures for BPMon & BP Analytics, especially for working capital improvement
- New Business Process Monitoring functionalities in SAP Solution Manager – BPMon Alert Reporting Analysis
- New Business Process Analytics features with SAP SolMan 7.1 SP5
- New Business Process Analytics – The filter sequence makes the difference
- New key figures: Analyzing/Monitoring exceptions during delivery due processing
- New key figure: Analyzing/Monitoring exceptions during billing due processing
- Enhanced key figures: Analyzing/monitoring SD invoices not transferred to FI
- New key figures: Analyzing/monitoring exceptions in CRM Sales or Service documents, Business Activities or Tasks
- New keyfigures: Analyzing/monitoring exceptions from APO planning runs
- New key figures for BPMon & BP Analytics – new exception and automation rate key figures for ERP plus new content for FSCM, APO and CRM
- New key figures: Analyzing/monitoring exceptions during Period End Closing
- New key figures: Analyzing/monitoring exceptions in Controlling (CO-PC)
- Enhanced key figures: Bridging the organizational gap between SD and FI-AR