BEx query Fundamentals and its working in Dashboards
BEx query fundamentals:
• Introduction to Business Explorer
• Fundamental Components
• How to create a dashboard based off BEx query
• Useful Knowledge Base Articles
Introduction to Business Explorer (BEx):
• Reporting tool used to work with data in the BW database.
• Provides an organized interface where a user can access and work with any type of document assigned to them in the Business Information Warehouse.
1. Key Figures
4. Free Characteristics
1: Key Figures
- Key Figures are numeric InfoObjects that are the object of analysis in BW/BI reports, such as number of employees, number of positions, annual salary, etc. Key Figures quantify Characteristics.
- Dimensions are logical groupings of Characteristics and Attributes in an InfoProvider.
- Dimensions can be found in the InfoObjectBEx.
- Characteristics describe the Key Figures.
- Characteristics are selected from the Dimensions of the InfoObjects list and added to the query.
4: Free Characteristics
- Free Characteristics are Characteristics in a query that do not display in the initial query results.
- An Attribute is a field that describes a Characteristic.
For example, Anniversary Date and Ethnic Origin are attributes of the Employee Characteristic.
- Filters are restrictions added to a query that limit the results of the query to a value or multiple values of a selected Characteristic when the query is run.
How to create a dashboard based off BEx query:
Refer to following document written by Tammy Powlas: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-31012
Useful Knowledge Base Articles:
1809653 – Dashboard Design 4.0 SP5 – Cannot Select Bex queries when creating new Dashboard if BICS connection language is different
1711564 – Unable to connect to a BEx variable as a source prompt in Dashboard Design. The 1st variable is grayed out.
1769293 – BI4 : Dashboard Design BICS ‘Connect to Spreadsheet’ options are grayed out when setting key date prompt in BW and prompt at query level
1804169 – XLS 000009 error happens when refreshing Dashboards when it contains Bex query data source and it will return no data after refreshing
1789906 – Unable to manually enter or search a BICS based List of Values in Web Intelligence member selector by value
1767983 – Performance Issues with bex Hierarchy nodes in Dashboard Design
1837977 – How to promote a dashboard based on BEx query using Promotion Management
Hope this helps and makes you clear with basics of BEx queries and using them with Dashboards.