Service Marketplace + Arch Linux + SSO = Victory
Today I deicded to tackle on moving tasks that I handle on one desktop to another, part of that was finding a way to have Arch Linux/Chromium leverage the Single Sign On (SSO) certificate that SAP Service Marketplace (SSM) offers, that stops the constant sign in window, that I’m sure everyone is familiar with receiving!
So I followed the same process that I performed in Windows to generate the SSO by supplying my SSM password, and received a ‘usercert’ file (and yes no file extension), I soon learned that Chromium (or my OS, not 100% sure) did not want to import anything short of a pkcs12 format. After failing some attempts to leverage openssl to convert the unknown ‘usercert’ file to a pfx format (possibly due to missing private key exportation); I had the idea to flip over to the Windows desktop and export the certificate from that system to the format that was required, but again was denied the needed format.
Fine, Chromium on Linux didn’t want to work and IE on Windows didn’t do what I needed, and forget about options at SSM. At this point some of you might be mumbling to me, just export the certificate from Chrome on Windows; ah HA that should work! Doing so will only result in the IE certificate store to display and provide the same options as IE.
Now this has become a power of will! And I have claimed VICTORY! 😏
- On Windows using Firefox > navigate to http://service.sap.com/myprofile > click on ‘Maintain my Single Sign-on Certificate’ > enter your password to the SSM and apply for the SAP Passport.
- At this point it should of installed or prompted to install a certificate to Firefox to allow for SSO with the SSM.
- In Firefox, pull up your options > Advanced (Gear icon) > Encryption tab > View Certificates > Click on your S-ID certificate name > click the ‘Backup’ button.
- Low and behold the infamous PKCS12 format export! Provide a name for the file export and save it.
- Transfer it to your Linux client machine
- On your Linux machine pull up Chromium (or Firefox, I did both to play it safe).
- Settings > in the search bar, start typing certificate > click on ‘Manage Certificates…’ > Click on your import button and import the SSO certificate (it may prompt for you password again).
- Navigate to SCN/SSM/something that typical prompts you for credentials and Chromium should now prompt you with a certificate pop up like you are used to saying.
I should also point out that I didn’t have to restart the system, Chromium, or Firefox; things just started working as expected.