Some key points about SAP HANA Technology & Architecture
The term SAP HANA is used for both (in-memory) database and an application platform.
SAP HANA is a platform offered as both an appliance and a cloud service.
SAP HANA in-memory database is a specialized database with following features
- All the read & write operations, take place in memory.
- Data can be stored both in row and column format.
- Every column is a secondary index and there is no need to maintain separate indexes.
- It has a much better Data compression as data from the same column can be stored together
- It utilizes distributive, multiprocessing & massive parallel processing capabilities of modern CPUs.
It comes with a tightly integrated lightweight application server out-of-the-box, SAP HANA XS or Extended Application Services. SAP HANA XS is esigned/engineered specificly for SAP HANA database and is closely integrated with it to take care of
- validation logic
- control flow logic
- service enablement logic
as most of
- calculation logic
- data-intensive processing
are pushed down into the database layers to leverage the power of the features mentioned above.
HANA Extended Application Services uses
- supports REST-based OData services with both JSON and Atom XML rendering
using which complex transnational business applications can be build.
Data-intensive logic can be written in
- SQL and SQL Script and
- it also has built-in support for XML for Analysis (XMLA) and Multidimensional Expression language (MDX) access for analytics.
The above information is just to get started. I would keep updating this blog with more up-to-date information.