SM12 – Unlocking an ABAP (TADIR) Object
Problem: Unable to Edit an Object as it is Lock problem by your user.
Description: the object is be locked by your user and you cannot further edit the object.
Cause: Your previous session did not got closed somehow due to following reasons:
1. Due to network issues, network got disconnected
2. client machine’s OS crashed
3. SAP GUI issues, it crashed
the object currently under editing gets locked and will not be unlocked for some time duration depending on the system settings.
Explaination: In an ABAP system when ever a user performs any update on any table for that period of time a lock on that particular field of that table is created so that no other user can update that table as one user is updating the table content. And incase during the update user session get terminated due to some error then this lock entry remains on that field. From SM12 you can check those type of locks.
This problem should be solved by a expert user. they must have the authorization to delete the lock.
NEVER delete a lock without proper follow up and certainty that and update is not in progress.
Before performing the below step,
– Make sure no processes and record updates are running for that user for whom you are clearing it. If you delete the lock entry when any process is active, then it will lead to data loss and inconsistencies in the system.
– Make sure when deleting the locks the user is not doing any changes in authoring or else he/she may lose data.
See the section other related Transactions of this document for help in performing the above checks.
Procedure (Resolution using SM12 transaction):
1. Go to transaction SM12, in the respective client 100,
2. Enter username of user who’s object is locked,
3. Click List,
4. click select all and delete.
Other related Transactions:
– SM13, This Tx code used to monitor the update statistics. It reports any uncommited updates for a particular user by date and time.
In netweaver system, Shift +F5 will lead you to the administration of the update system.
– SM21, This Tx code is used to access the system log output screen. It reports messages in the system logs i.e all system errors, warnings, user locks due to failed logon attempts from known users, and process messages.