Create Flat File Universe Using Information Design Tool
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform, SAP BusinessObjects Semantic Layer and SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence.
This article provides step by step process of creating universe on flat file using Information Design Tool (IDT). In addition it also mentions the details of key points to be considered while creating flat file universe through IDT. The content in this article is intended for semantic layer users and designers those who would wish to create flat file universes and provide developers access via web Intelligence etc.
Note: Flat file in this article refers to .CSV, .Txt and other supported files.
Author: Mallikarjuna Chary Narayandas
Company: Gyansys Inc.
Created on: June 22, 2013
The author has worked on several SAP BusinessObjects projects and has experience on using all the SAPBusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform tools. Author has experience on working with SAPBusinessObjects mobile including designing and accessing BusinessObjects content (Web Intelligence Reports, Crystal Reports, Dashboards, Analysis and Information Spaces) through IPAD / IPhone / Android.
This article provides step by step process of creating universe on flat file using Information Design Tool (IDT). In addition it also mentions the details of key points to be considered while creating flat file universe through IDT. The content in this article is intended for semantic layer users and designers those who would wish to create flat file universes and provide developers access via web Intelligence etc. Below are few key drivers of choosing a Flat file universe over web intelligence rich client report creation of flat files.
- Being able to apply query filters to restrict data coming from Excel
- Merge Dimension objects from Excel with objects from Universe queries
- Provide flexibility in terms of controlling object formats, data type conversions and add prompts etc.
Step By Step Process of Flat File Universe Creation
- Go to All Programs>SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform 4> SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform Client Tools> Information Design Tool (IDT) to launch IDT
- Create New Project by Choosing menu Option File>New>Project
- Enter Project Name (Ex: Flat File Universe Demo) and Specify Project Location. Designer can leave the default location as is or click on browse button to choose any location of choice. Click on Finish to complete creation of project.
- Right click on the project created above and choose New > Relational Connection
- Enter Resource name and description and then click on “Next >”
- Choose Generic>Text Files>BusinessObjects OpenConnectivity as middle ware in order to connect to flat files (.CSV, .txt etc.) & click “Next >”
- Choose Location Type as Local and Provide information to connect to flat file such as file path and click on Test connection. Click on Finish once Connection is tested successful.
- Now the Local connection is ready.
- Publish connection to the repository choosing appropriate folder location on repository and Clicking on Finish.
Note: Designer should have been already connected to BO server on IDT or else he may have to do it at this step.
- Designer will receive a publish successfully message. Now press “Yes” to create a shortcut to local folder. Designer will receive a Shortcut created successfully message.
- Go to project >Right Click>New>Data Foundation and Enter data foundation name, Choose connection short cut and click on Finish.
- Expand the connection listed in data foundation and drag and drop the table to the schema window and save your data foundation.
- Go to project> Right Click> New>Business Layer and Choose Relational Data Foundation, Enter Business Layer name and Select the data foundation created in previous steps and click Ok and Finish.
- Business Layer is generated with Classes and Objects as below and overall project should look as below. If designer chooses to re-organize or rename the classes and objects he can do it and save the Business Layer after changes.
- Go to Business Layer >Right Click > Publish>To a Repository.
- Perform Check Integrity and Click Next to choose an appropriate folder and Click Finish to publish the Business Layer to repository.
Now the that the UNX universe created would work fine with local connection for rich client reports, if designer wants this universe to be allowing queries from BI Launchpad to run fine without any error messages then he has to update the connection published to repository using steps below.
- Go to Repository resources>Connections>Flat file connection and double click on the flat file connection to open properties
- Choose Edit Connection and Update the File path or pattern to the server URL as below where the Flat file should have been placed by BusinessObjects Administrator in the specified location as below.
Note1: This file location on BusinessObjects server would be different if the BusinessObjects server is deployed on Unix or Windows OS.
Note2: Since designer is updating the connection from repository resources, No connection publish step is required.
Even though the connection is updated with right folder location pointing to BusinessObjects server, when designer performs Test connection it returns the error message as below and data preview of query would also result in an error message as below. However, the query built from web intelligence through BI launch pad runs fine and users can create and execute reports on this Flat File universe.
Disclaimer and Liability Notice
This document may discuss sample coding or other information that does not include SAP official interfaces and therefore is not supported by SAP. Changes made based on this information are not supported and can be overwritten during an upgrade.
SAP will not be held liable for any damages caused by using or misusing the information, code or methods suggested in this document and anyone using these methods does so at his/her own risk.
SAP offers no guarantees and assumes no responsibility or liability of any type with respect to the content of this technical article or code sample, including any liability resulting from incompatibility between the content within this document and the materials and services offered by SAP. You agree that you will not hold, or seek to hold, SAP responsible or liable with respect to the content of this document