Are your aircraft maintenance workers still carrying service handbooks with them?
Companies in the A&D industry – both in the commercial and defense segments – face unique challenges in maintaining their mission-critical assets, which are typically geographically distributed, and often remotely located and exposed to the elements.
The number of maintenance technicians or field service technicians who install new equipment or maintain, inspect, and repair existing assets is often limited, due to an aging workforce and shortage of skilled workers. Additionally, technicians have to rely on increasingly complex equipment and often work in highly regulated environments. Access to information is essential, safety is paramount, and productivity is critical. Enabling technologies in the area of enterprise mobility can help increase maintenance operations process efficiency.
For A&D companies that own and maintain their own equipment, the SAP Work Manager mobile app can help the company’s maintenance technicians to work more safely, productively, and independently. For maintenance service providers to the A&D industry, the SAP CRM Service Manager mobile app can help them reduce costs, boost service levels, and increase service revenue by empowering their technicians to respond faster and work more efficiently.
Now imagine, you are an aircraft maintenance worker:
At the start of your workday, you turn on a mobile device with the installed SAP Work Manager mobile app and get a list of jobs that need to be done.
- The app is connected to the ERP back-end system in which the work orders are created. Jobs are assigned by a dispatcher to a technician and displayed on the mobile device.
You accept a repair job via mobile device.
- The status of the work order for that particular repair job is changed automatically to “assigned” in the back-end system.
- Built-in GPS functions helps guide the technician safely to the correct location.
You can access, via mobile device, all the necessary information (descriptions, history of previous work orders, work instructions, safety plans, check availability
- of spare parts to start the repair job.
- The SAP Work Manager mobile app guides the technician – step-by-step – through the job at hand to ensure that work is being done correctly, and according to regulations and standard procedures. For example: After the technician enters the equipment number, the app automatically suggests a list of possible problems particular to that piece of equipment. This enables easier decision making thanks to more specific information.
- The app tracks the location of the technician in real time and records work and status progress automatically. When the technician stops work to go to lunch, for example, the work order is put “on hold,” and a status notification is automatically sent to the back-end system.
- The technician can report any issues seen in the field immediately, helping support compliance regulations.
2. Once the repair job has been completed, the status of the work order is automatically changed to “completed” in the back-end system, and the technician can accept the next job.
- Work reports (notes and failure reports as well as attachments such as photos) can be sent immediately to the back-end system. The technician does not need to return to the office to complete the administrative work.
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?
Join us for our AIA members only webinar on 18th September. To register go here.
SAP solutions used in this example are:
SAP Work Manager mobile app
SAP CRM Service Manager mobile app
- Improve decision making in the field and promote independence
- Work to standards and improve individual productivity
- Support service quality, avoid rework and repeat issues
- Respond faster while reducing mileage
- Improve SLA performance and reduce time on the job site
- Protect and increase service revenues
- Improve customer loyalty
- Improve billing accuracy and compress cash cycles
- More easily recruit and train new and less experienced technicians
- Together with other SAP solutions, provide management with a 360-degree view of their operations
SAP mobile apps:
- Are 100% configurable – tailor screens, workflow, business logic, validation, synchronization, communications, and integration
- Are easy to learn and administer – technology that can be quickly adopted by IT teams
- Offer broad device support – match the best device to each member of the workforce, and easily add new devices as they become available
- Offer great usability – mobile workflow and native UI experience that works online or offline
Interested to find out more? Go here for a short demo