How to grant BW variant authorizations
In BI 4.1, Analysis edition for OLAP introduced support for BW variants. Not only can you re-use variants that you may have created using the BEx tools but you can also create new private and public variants.
Creating a public variant means that others who connect to the same query can also make use of your variant… but you need to have the correct authorization.
This blog, plus the accompaning video, describes the 9 simple steps needed to enable creating public variants.
During the first 60 seconds of the video below we use Analysis edition for OLAP to connect to a BW Query which has some prompts. We connect to the BW system using the user “AUTHUSR1” and demonstrate how this user is initially not able to create a public variant.
But by following the 9 steps below, “AUTHUSR1” is given the authorization to create public variants.
The final 60 seconds of the video demonstrates that the user “AUTHUSR1” is now able to use Analysis, edition for OLAP, to create public variants.
[For easier viewing, we recommend you toggle on “Full screen” mode and switch to 720p HD]
1. Log on to your SAP BW system and enter the transaction “RSECADMIN”.
2. In the “Management of Analysis Authorizations” screen, click on the “User” tab and choose “Role Maintenance”.
A Role is assigned to a user (or group of users) and is a collection of authorizations. If you already have a Role applicable to all users that require the ability to create a public variant then you will want to edit this Role to add the new authorization, otherwise you will want to create a new Role.
3. In the “Role Maintenance” screen either enter the existing Role and click the “Change” icon or create a new Role.
4. The “Change Roles” screen will appear. Select the “Authorizations” tab.
5. In the “Authorizations” tab choose “Change Authorization Data”.
6. Click on “Manually” and enter “S_RS_PARAM” as the Authorization object.
7. You will see a new entry; “Business Explorer – Variants in Variable Screen”. Expand this entry.
8. Click the “Change” icon for Activity. Typically you would now click “Full authorization”, but you can choose which activities to allow.
9. Click the “Save” icon.
Hopefully this blog will help make it easier to enable variant usage with Analysis edition for OLAP.