Andy Silvey – How to make your first SAP Hana Cloud Portal Site
Introduction and Background:
there is a lot of documentation available for SAP Hana Cloud Portal, Ifat Shwartz
and Team are doing a wonderful job.
As a SAP Portal Administrator I need to keep up with the latest technology and where SAP is going.
Cloud is not going to go away, and all of us in the SAP Portal area need to keep up with the SAP Hana
Cloud Portal, be familiar with its possibilities, capabilities, opportunities, and how to work with it, implement
it, deliver it, configure it, administer it.
The SAP Hana Cloud Portal Team, have given us all the possibility to answer all of the above questions, on a plate.
There is a mountain of SAP Hana Cloud Portal documentation available and even better, there is a free unlimited
full Internet available trial Hana Cloud Platform for us all to work with – how cool is that ?
On top of this, after this blog, and further experimentation we will all be best placed to take part in the
Hana Cloud Portal Challenge: SAP Hana Cloud Portal Announces The Most Creative And Appealing Site Contest
So, let’s get down to business, the point of this blog is to get people interested in working with the SAP Hana
Cloud Portal up and running with their first Site as fast as possible. This blog will bring together existing blogs
and fill in a couple of gaps. This blog is the first step of simply making your own SAP Hana Cloud Portal
‘Hello World’ Site.
How to make a SAP Hana Cloud Portal Site
Step #1 Read and Complete Ifat’s blog, SAP HANA Cloud Portal – Get Your Free Trial Today
- Log in with your SCN credentials (if you don’t have an account yet, get one here), or alternatively
- Click this link to register and create an account, when you click REGISTER you’ll need
to accept the trial license agreement and you will see this screen:
- Then you will see this screen:
- Correct your Data and click Submit
- Then you will see this screen:
- Click the Logon button and you will see this screen:
- You now have your SAP Hana Cloud Portal trial account and you are able to successfully logon to
Step #2 Create Your SAP Hana Cloud Portal ‘Hello World’ Site
- Recap – you have an account for the SAP Hana Cloud Portal Trial and you have logged onto the platform
and have this screen in front of you:
- Click the link ‘SAP Hana Cloud Portal’ and then you will see this screen:
- From the above screenshot click the button ‘New Site’ and you will see this screen:
- As shown in the screenshot above, give the new Site a name, in this case, Helloworld and click Save
- You will now see this screen:
- As shown in the above screenshot, click the link ‘Open Site For Editing’
- You will now be in the ‘Authoring Space’ as shown in the screenshot below:
- For this HelloWorld blog we will not go into detail of the tool bar on the right side of the screen
- There is other documentation on SAP Hana Cloud Portal describing CSS and Authoring and in future
blogs in this series we will go into those areas in more detail including Widgets and Backend Connectivity,
and User Provisioning, Access, Security, Content, Themes etc
- For now, as shown in the above screenshot, click the ‘Settings’ icon in the middle of the screen and
select ‘Rename’, then ‘Rename’ the page as ‘HelloWorld’
- You are now in the Authoring Space and the screen will now look as shown below:
- Next, we will publish the Hello World Site, click on the Publish button as shown on the right in the
screenshot below (it’s the button with the globe and the arrow)
- When the Publishing Options section opens, as shown in the screenshot above, click Publish
- Then as shown in the screenshot below you will get confirmation that the Site is Published:
- As shown in the screenshot below the Publishing Options section now gives the status as ‘Published’:
- Next, as shown in the screenshot below click on the Site Access button at the top of the list of buttons
on the blue toolbar on the right side of the screen:
- As shown in the screenshot above, from the Site Access Level drop down listbox select Public
- As shown in the screenshot below the Site Access Level will now be Public:
- Next, minimise the Site Settings section and click the Site Directory button as shown in the screenshot
- You will now be back in the Site Directory as shown in the screenshot below:
- In the Site Directory you can see your HelloWorld site, and the Site Url
- If you try that Url you will see you have successfully completed your first SAP Hana Cloud Portal Site:
- Useful Notes:
I will continue this series, and will be going through all of the areas I want to understand with the SAP Hana Cloud
Portal, integration with SAP backend systems, provisioning of Users, and how exactly the SAP Hana Cloud
Portal compares to the on-premise SAP Portal. When I have answered these questions for myself then as a
SAP NetWeaver Basis Administrator and Architect I will best placed and qualified to advise Customers on what to
use where and why.
Until next time, have fun with the SAP Hana Cloud Portal.
p.s. I have the greatest admiration for SCN’s Tobias Hofmann’s approach where he explained how his son
does a large part of his contribution to SCN , in the same spirit, this blog, which is opening a new chapter of
my own SAP Portal life is dedicated to my young daughters who I will be training on the SAP Hana Cloud Portal.
Because, part of my response to all of the buzz and questions of how we can use SAP Hana Cloud Portal, history
has shown, if we want to findout uses for technology which our generation would never have thought of, just give
the technology to the next generation and watch what they do with it and come up with !