How to silently install specific SAP Business Intelligence Client Tools
Below I describe how one can perform a custom, silent installation. In this example, I’ll only install widgets. This example uses SP6 but should be similar for other versions of the product.
- Extract the client media to a directory. Here I’ve chosen C:\BusinessObjectsClient.
- Open a command prompt from the start menu (Start | Programs | Accessories |Command Prompt).
- Navigate to the directory where you extracted the media.
- Run the command setup -w c:\response.ini. You can specify a different path and filename if you like. This command will create a file that tells the installer which items it should install and where.
- The installer has launched thanks to the previous command.
- Select the components you want to install.
- Complete the installation. Note: nothing will get installed, rather a file will be created in the location you specified in step 4.
- Notice that the file shows the selections for where the product should be installed, language options and what actually should be installed.
- Launch the installation by changing the switch to -r instead of -w which will read the file instead of writing it. In a typical use case you may want to create a .bat file to automatically run the setup command. If you’d like to do this offline, consider using a dvd or perhaps a memory stick.
- Widgets have now been successfully installed!