Simple Guide on Mobile Connectivity
This document will present the steps that should be followed to connect a mobile device to the SAP BI4 platform. The connection I made was via the SAP BI app for iPhone (iOS 6.1) and Android. I have not yet tested the iPad version (which has extended functionality). Details on the extra functionality available on iPad, such as mobile Dashboards, will be available soon either in this or in a separate document. The system used for testing was BOXI4_Train Virtual Machine running SP5.
Follow these steps:
1. Install the Mobile server package on the Tomcat Web application server:
a. Stop Tomcat Web application server
b. Copy the MobileOTA14.war file from the source location (F:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Mobile 14\Client for the BOXI4_Train VM) to the SAP BO BI platform location (F:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\warfiles on the VM)
c. Restart Tomcat
2. Set the Virtual Machine Network connection Settings (if you use a VM as a server)
a. VM Settings -> Network Adapter -> select Bridged in the Network connection panel and tick Replicate physical network connection state
3. Create a “Mobile” category in CMC
- Login to CMC and select Categories
- Click on New Category and name the category “Mobile”
Note: The name of the category must be “Mobile”.
To view WebI reports on a mobile device they will have to be assigned this category in CMC.
4. Enable the VPN connection on the mobile device
- a. Go to Settings -> General ->VPN -> Choose/Add a Configuration (iPhone)or Settings -> Wireless & Network -> More -> VPN (Android)
- Select PPTP and fill in the fields as shown below
- Turn on the VPN
5. Set up the SAP BI app.
- Download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play (Android)
- Select Settings-> Add a Connection. Fill in the details as shown below.
I hope you will find this guide useful. It took me a while to figure out how to connect as it is not as straight forward as I firstly imagined.
Thanks for reading!