Reporting on Operational Data Providers (ODP)
Operational Data Provisioning and Step by Step Activation Procedure for ODP Objects
1.0 Operational Data Provisioning Overview
Operational Data Provisioning is a technical architecture included in Latest SAP ECC systems to enable additional options in reporting.
· 1. Analytical reporting in application system itself. It consists of ODPs, BEx reports and Dashboard templates. It comes under Search and Analytics package. By activating this feature the reporting is possible in Application system (ECC).
· 2. The traditional BW – LO cockpit data sources are enhanced with direct data access. These DataSources can be replicated into SAP BW system. The setup tables has became obsolete for these data sources, so direct access is possible in query runtime.
1.1 Architectural Overview
The picture illustrates how data sources, operational data providers and analytic queries are related in the context of operational analytics architecture in the SAP EHP for SAP Netweaver 7
The ODP exposes transactional and master data including the associations to the analytic queries.
The analytic engine interprets the analytic query and exposes the result to the analytic clients.
Data is retrieved either directly from the data base via data sources or read from BWA
2.0 Steps to Activate ODP
2.1 SPRO Settings
The configuration of operation data provisioning is done via SAP Customizing Implementation Guide (IMG). In the IMG you can activate individual standard applications and industry solutions in your ABAP-based SAP system. These applications and solutions are known as Business Function Sets and Business Functions.
The IMG structure for Search and Operational Analytics includes settings for the following use cases:
- Operational Data Provisioning for Operational Analytics
- Embedded Search
1. Run transaction SPRO
2. Click on SAP Reference IMG
3. Navigate to “Search and Operational Analytics” through “SAP NetWeaver”.
4. Common settings for Operational analytics and embedded search
- Assign administrator role – this Composite role provides necessary authorization for changes and administration tasks.
- Activate WebDynpro Services
- Configure TREX and Indexing – To allow TREX/BWA and SAP NetWeaver to communicate with one another, you must create a connection between them, take care of load balancing and specify users for real time indexing
5. Configuring settings for Operational Analytics
- Basic Configuration for Operational Analytics – This allows you to use Operational Data provisioning and Classic InfoSets in BI tools.
- Specify Client for Modeling – Use this step to specify the RFC destination that is used to read the ODP modeling. This allows you to run the query on other clients as well.
- Processing of Data Source Enhancements – With this Business Add-In you can use the Data Source Extension for Operation Data Provider
2.2 Activating Data sources
After completing the SPRO setting the related DataSources needs to be activated.
To do this,
- Run transacting SBIW
- Business Content DataSources –> Transfer Business Content DataSources
- Open the Tree nodes SAP-R/3 –> Required Business Module and install the business content data sources of applications
- The DataSources mentioned in Transaction: LBWE for a business module are needs to be activated.
2.3 Activate Business Functions
The corresponding Business functions should be activated in T-code: SFW5.
2.4 RSRTS_ODP_DIS before installation
T code – RSRTS_ODP_DIS is to display the Transient providers. Before installing an ODP object it will be available in Modeled version.
When you execute it, you will get the components of the object.
It’s divided into key part, Data part, Unit and Keyfigures.
If the object is not installed then those won’t be available in F4 help of the ODP Name.
2.5 Activate BI Report Bundles
The ODP objects can be installed by two options. One is through BI content activation workbench and another is through transaction RSOR.
Activation through BI content activation workbench
- Run the transaction BSANLY_BI_ACTIVATION. This opens BI Content activation Workbench.
For more details: http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_05/helpdata/en/b6/b67adca9144852aff187a4e15426dd/frameset.htm
- Select Business Category 03 for Business Functions.
- Among the various BI content select the required rows and activate. The various BI contents available are in the below picture.
In the above picture the MM analytics is activated. To activate other function select the row and click on activate button. This will open a window as below.
In this window select the RFC destination, Data replication properties and effects on already active objects. While installing objects, it can be written to a transport request.
Activation through RSOR transaction
1. 1. Goto RSOR transaction. In the cases of ODP reports, we know the name of query better than the Data providers, so search for the query that you want to activate.
1. 2. In the object collection pane, choose collection mode as ‘Collect automatically’ and grouping as ‘Data Flow before’
2. 3. Select the required report and transfer the selection to object collection window.
1. 4. After collecting check whether the entire required object were collected or not.
5. Then simulate the installation. If the simulation ends without any errors proceed installing.
2.6 RSRTS_ODP_DIS after installation
If an object is installed then that will be available in F4 help of the ODP name as below.
And when you execute you will get components, which constitute that ODP object.
3.0 Executing the Activated BEx Queries and Dashboards
Now the Queries will be available for reporting
- In order to execute the queries and the dashboards in ECC you also need the role SAP_QAP_BW_DASHBOARDS and the profile T-Q3970370 assigned to your user.
- Furthermore, you need to have a portal user created for your user. The portal in ECC needs to have a BI-JAVA. If ECC has its own BI JAVA then you are fine, otherwise if your ECCs portal uses another ECCs BI JAVA, then in that ECC you need to have a user as well.
- Execute the Transaction NWBC this will launch the NetWeaver Business client for the particular user.
- Different roles are available for each business Module, when you click that the list of reports will be shown as below.
The Activated report will be available as dashboards in SAP Business client.
Note: The reports can be directly accessed from RSRT Transaction and can be edited using BEx Query designer.
Thanks for reading.
if step 2.5 fails with the following message:
TREX: Error in the RFC communication: RFC destination NO TREX does not exist. (NO TREX)
Message no. ESH_CO_COMMON008
you can activate the ODPs individually using program RODPS_LOAD_ACTIVATE_SINGLE
(as per ESH_ADM_TREX_DEST "NO TREX" ODP)
When i try to activate ODP using the program which you had given, in run time i could see there is a Transient provider is generated.
But how can i activate that Transient provider in system as there is a Multi Provider(SAP defined) built based on that Transient provider and this TP is not active state hence when I use this SAP defined MP its giving an error that included TP is not active.
Please let me know if you have any inputs on this.Thanks!
as far as I recall (this was more than 2 years ago) the transient provider should be activated when running that program, so I have no clue why this didn't work in your case
Thanks for your reply.!
This is excellent information. Thanks alot.
Thanks for adding your suggestions!!
Thanks for reading
has anyone using SAP ECC6.0 (EHP6) already found role SAP_QAP_BW_DASHBOARDS and profile T-Q3970370 in their system?
we haven't... we have an incident open with SAP for almost 2 weeks now and they haven't even looked at it
Raf - I wonder if you should escalate your message, especially if no one is working on it? See video on how to do that:
thanks for the info.
Unfortunately I cannot see videos... well that's not entirely true, I can see them, but without sound (I only have internet access via one of the BO servers and it does not have a sound card).
Also, escalation hasn't worked in the past either... I guess the customer is "too small" for SAP.
I just got a reply back on that message. It finally made it into development, but they don't have time... they propose to look at it 4 weeks from now?! By then I'm probably no longer here, at least not full-time (it's a bit expensive to have a consultant sit around and wait for at least 4 weeks).
SAP came back to us saying that the role was never delivered!
Check OSS 2001264 for more info...
Document content is really amazing...
Could you please tell me how this reporting on ODP is distinct from report on other modeling? Will it has some good performance impact? Could you also please share me the usage?
Does it requires BW 7.40 or we can do this in BW 7.30 as well?
Kindly clarify my query.
main difference: you report directly in the ECC system using BI tools
you don't need BW at all... it uses the "embedded" BW of the ECC system (as to the version of the embedded BW: 7.3 will be fine - prerequisites are mentioned in another post)
Question about 2 config items.
- Specify Client for modeling: Is this the BW instance? In your case since its the BW application in the ECC instance would this be blank?
- Processing Datasource Enhancements: Is this the same exit for extractor enhancement?
1. it's the client in which you would like to "activate" the embedded BW server - you can only do (BW related) customizing in that client, but you can report in other clients as well
2. I think so, haven't really had to use that up until now
Can I follow up on your reply to question 1?
Is there any rule of thumb for choosing which client to be selected as the BW (modeling client)? For instance, should it be the same client for configuration, or for ABAP development, or has data?
as per my reply (about 2 years ago) it would be the "configuration" client (I called it customizing)
btw, by now this is rather "ancient" technology (it actually already was when I was setting it up for my client at the time, but they insisted)
Appreciate your reply.
Will it cause any issue (especially with transport request to QA system) if BW setup client is not the same as the ABAP development client? Workbench requests will now be generated from 2 clients.
You mean reporting using ODP is "ancient" technology? What is the latest/preferred technology for operational reporting?
I actually have no clue whether this will cause issues... you'll have to (re)read the manual/documentation for that. For me this has been almost 3 years now and haven't touched it since.
ODP itself is not ancient technology, but the "embedded analytics" setup as described above is. It has been replaced by SAP HANA Live (less ancient, but already "old") which in turn has been replaced by S/4 HANA Embedded Analytics (fairly new).
Very Good Document, Sri....
In my system in SPRO - under SAP Netweaver I do not see "Common settings for Operational analytics and embedded search" , I only see "Search"(image below) . Dow you know why that would be the case ?
Thanks everyone of your comments.
The version I have used old one. I wrote this almost 2 years back, Now SAP would have changed it.
I believe "Search" is the name SAP currently calling this feature.
I am trying to implement ODP-BW and ODP-SLT functionality as per our business requirement on below mentioned environment.
HANA : 1.00.80.00.391861(New DB100_REL)
HANA Studio : Version 1.80.3
BW Server 1: Release 740 with SP-Level 8
BW Server 2 : Release 740 with SP-Level 4(Embedded BW with ECC)
ECC(with SLT) : Release 740 with SP-Level 4
When I am creating source system in BW under ODP-BW and ODP-SLT I am getting these ODP-BW source system under ODP-SAP(Extractors) and ODP-SLT source system under ODP-Other Contexts folder.
Please could you let us know the configuration and pre-requites or SNOTE(if any) to be implemented to realize ODP-BW and ODP-SLT.
Raja sekhar A
Really nice document
Is there a rule of thumb for which client should be designated as the BW client in the development system? For instance, should it be the ABAP development client, or configuration client, or client with data?
For the last option, what happens if there is data in more than one client?
I did all the configuration you mentioned in the article above. But I am not able to find the ODP's other than HR module in the BSANLY_BI_ACTIVATION T-code. I tried to find Logistics ODP's but couldn't find them. I would like to insert few screenshots of the errors which I faced during the whole process.
I am not able to find out what the problem is. What are all the steps to do? Can you please explain me the flow?
My idea is --> 1. first we need to activate the BI content necessary for reporting.
2--> Once activated they are found in RSRTS_ODP_DIS. Is that correct?
What does SFW5 do here? I am almost there but I am not able to understand the flow properly.
For example if you consider SAP BW. the flow is
ECC Datasources--> extractors-->setup tables--> PSA in BW--> DTPs --> DSO-->cube--> Multiprovider--> Bex reporting. Like this what is the flow for ODP reporting? Please explain me. I am trying to find the fixes but I am not able to.