Operational Data Provisioning and Step by Step Activation Procedure for ODP Objects
1.0 Operational Data Provisioning Overview
Operational Data Provisioning is a technical architecture included in Latest SAP ECC systems to enable additional options in reporting.
· 1. Analytical reporting in application system itself. It consists of ODPs, BEx reports and Dashboard templates. It comes under Search and Analytics package. By activating this feature the reporting is possible in Application system (ECC).
· 2. The traditional BW – LO cockpit data sources are enhanced with direct data access. These DataSources can be replicated into SAP BW system. The setup tables has became obsolete for these data sources, so direct access is possible in query runtime.
1.1 Architectural Overview
The picture illustrates how data sources, operational data providers and analytic queries are related in the context of operational analytics architecture in the SAP EHP for SAP Netweaver 7
The ODP exposes transactional and master data including the associations to the analytic queries.
The analytic engine interprets the analytic query and exposes the result to the analytic clients.
Data is retrieved either directly from the data base via data sources or read from BWA
2.0 Steps to Activate ODP
2.1 SPRO Settings
The configuration of operation data provisioning is done via SAP Customizing Implementation Guide (IMG). In the IMG you can activate individual standard applications and industry solutions in your ABAP-based SAP system. These applications and solutions are known as Business Function Sets and Business Functions.
The IMG structure for Search and Operational Analytics includes settings for the following use cases:
- Operational Data Provisioning for Operational Analytics
- Embedded Search
1. Run transaction SPRO
2. Click on SAP Reference IMG
3. Navigate to “Search and Operational Analytics” through “SAP NetWeaver”.
4. Common settings for Operational analytics and embedded search
- Assign administrator role – this Composite role provides necessary authorization for changes and administration tasks.
- Activate WebDynpro Services
- Configure TREX and Indexing – To allow TREX/BWA and SAP NetWeaver to communicate with one another, you must create a connection between them, take care of load balancing and specify users for real time indexing
5. Configuring settings for Operational Analytics
- Basic Configuration for Operational Analytics – This allows you to use Operational Data provisioning and Classic InfoSets in BI tools.
- Specify Client for Modeling – Use this step to specify the RFC destination that is used to read the ODP modeling. This allows you to run the query on other clients as well.
- Processing of Data Source Enhancements – With this Business Add-In you can use the Data Source Extension for Operation Data Provider
2.2 Activating Data sources
After completing the SPRO setting the related DataSources needs to be activated.
To do this,
- Run transacting SBIW
- Business Content DataSources –> Transfer Business Content DataSources
- Open the Tree nodes SAP-R/3 –> Required Business Module and install the business content data sources of applications
- The DataSources mentioned in Transaction: LBWE for a business module are needs to be activated.
2.3 Activate Business Functions
The corresponding Business functions should be activated in T-code: SFW5.
2.4 RSRTS_ODP_DIS before installation
T code – RSRTS_ODP_DIS is to display the Transient providers. Before installing an ODP object it will be available in Modeled version.
When you execute it, you will get the components of the object.
It’s divided into key part, Data part, Unit and Keyfigures.
If the object is not installed then those won’t be available in F4 help of the ODP Name.
2.5 Activate BI Report Bundles
The ODP objects can be installed by two options. One is through BI content activation workbench and another is through transaction RSOR.
Activation through BI content activation workbench
- Run the transaction BSANLY_BI_ACTIVATION. This opens BI Content activation Workbench.
- Select Business Category 03 for Business Functions.
- Among the various BI content select the required rows and activate. The various BI contents available are in the below picture.
In the above picture the MM analytics is activated. To activate other function select the row and click on activate button. This will open a window as below.
In this window select the RFC destination, Data replication properties and effects on already active objects. While installing objects, it can be written to a transport request.
Activation through RSOR transaction
1. 1. Goto RSOR transaction. In the cases of ODP reports, we know the name of query better than the Data providers, so search for the query that you want to activate.
1. 2. In the object collection pane, choose collection mode as ‘Collect automatically’ and grouping as ‘Data Flow before’
2. 3. Select the required report and transfer the selection to object collection window.
1. 4. After collecting check whether the entire required object were collected or not.
5. Then simulate the installation. If the simulation ends without any errors proceed installing.
2.6 RSRTS_ODP_DIS after installation
If an object is installed then that will be available in F4 help of the ODP name as below.
And when you execute you will get components, which constitute that ODP object.
3.0 Executing the Activated BEx Queries and Dashboards
Now the Queries will be available for reporting
- In order to execute the queries and the dashboards in ECC you also need the role SAP_QAP_BW_DASHBOARDS and the profile T-Q3970370 assigned to your user.
- Furthermore, you need to have a portal user created for your user. The portal in ECC needs to have a BI-JAVA. If ECC has its own BI JAVA then you are fine, otherwise if your ECCs portal uses another ECCs BI JAVA, then in that ECC you need to have a user as well.
- Execute the Transaction NWBC this will launch the NetWeaver Business client for the particular user.
- Different roles are available for each business Module, when you click that the list of reports will be shown as below.
The Activated report will be available as dashboards in SAP Business client.
Note: The reports can be directly accessed from RSRT Transaction and can be edited using BEx Query designer.