Since SAP TechED 2012, I have been interested to work much on new features released for custom code management functionality in Solution Manager 7.1. Finally last month we got the approval for Go. I joined with the developers team and we implemented Custom Code Lifecycle Management (CCLM) in one of our client productively. Through this document, I would like to share some of our experience on CCLM setup and tips to get more benefit from the tool.
What is CCLM
We could easily define CCLM as a tool which provides transparency of all your custom code objects in your landscape also provides the various dimensional view like quantity, quality, usage, Technical severity and Business criticality.
How to Configure
This blog is not intended for configuration steps, But you can get the step by step configuration on Road MAP CCLM.
How CCLM works
I tried to give very short. There are list of data collectors ( scheduled with batch jobs) helps to collect the data with various dimensions and It is the library definition which we import during the configuration helps to list of custom code objects with its standard attributes, we can also define our own attributes and its values. The good thing is these data collectors runs periodically and update the result automatically. We will see more detail on below.
- Attributes which assigned for individually developed objects that are not collected automatically, Example distribution rule, references to contracts and responsible persons. Hence these things must be maintained manually.
- BW setup and reporting is optional in CCLM standard, means it is not available by automatic setups, we need to the manual activation of infocubes and BI queries, and lot other works, stated in the guide.
- Some of the dimensional like severity and criticality needs to be maintained manually, then only it reflects in dashboard for analysis.
- CDMC is integrated to CCLm. We can call CDMC project from CCLM workcenter,
- Before you start, my strong recommendation to implement all the SAP notes regards to CCLM, we implemented 15+ SAP notes, most of them for CCLM performance and data collectors failure. Some of the Notes has manual steps related to BI dashboards, example 1809928. Hence we need to very much careful and read all SAP CCLM notes and implement the needed with manual pre and post steps for better results.
How to Use CCLM Results
Result of CCLM functionality can be viewed in three different place
- From CCLM work center – Object view
- From Dashboard Application
- From Add Hoc View
CCLM Results – CCLM Work center Object view
In the Objects view, you can display all custom objects (and their attributes) in the active library. The data collectors have collected the custom objects during the scheduled jobs. You can filter and search the list by certain criteria, like by defining contracts, references, responsible person,
In addition we need to manually maintain the custom attributes severity and criticality under maintain attributes
CCLM Results – Adnoc reporting
A comprehensive reporting function known as Ad-hoc Reporting is available under common tasks in CCLM workcenter, you can view both master and transactional view of the result, there are various filter option available to drill down the result into more meaningful format, But this is kind of static table display, Not able to get much information from the result displayed.
CCLM Results – BW Reporting
Since BW configuration is optional CCLM standard support, if we want BW reporting, we need to create the queries and template ourself, we could display it under CCLM Workcenter – Reporting.
CCLM Results – CCLM Dashboard Apps
The CCLM Dashboard contains five apps for monitoring custom code and displaying the data in dashboard format. The following lists the apps,
- Custom Code Usage App
- Custom Code Severity App
- Custom Code Quantity App
- Custom Code Quality App
- Custom Code Criticality App
Some Interesting things about CCLM Dashboards
- Like reporting, we can create our own dashboard app using the CCLM tables and deploy it under management dashboard. It was covered with ALM260 – Management Dashboard topic at last year teched.
- SAP Note 1809928, must be implemented to correct the wrong data displayed in dashboard, this sap note has some manual activity we need to carry out in BI Sides.
- Severity app just shows how much level is your custom development completely differ from SAP Standard, this helps to identify the number of independent objects ( objects which totally different from SAP Standard object). this needs to be maintained manually by using maintain attribute tab, there are 6 levels of Severity.
- Criticality App shows how the custom object level of impact on business process, (Object considered as “critical” if it is used in a critical business processes)
- SAP Severity and criticality app shows result only when the attributes maintained manually.
- Quality App provides details about level of quality based on Code Inspector results from the managed systems.
- Monthly, weekly view of usage dashboard available only if you have EWA report configured and worked fine. The data is shown up only from the date EWA report available.
Other good reading source