When we said our goodbyes to Google Reader last month, B2B marketers were looking for ways to fill a void of a content curation staging place. Relevant curation of content and contextual marketing can be attained by creating a Paper.li or a few of them: create, update, repeat.
To begin with, Paper.li in itself is just a great word: spiffing on the tiny principality of Lichtenstein’s domain – this “Made in Switzerland” company uses a Swiss suffix “li” which makes any Swiss word all the cuter. I could call myself “Margotli”– it’s a diminutive which sounds playful when spoken in the Swiss dialect: Schwyzerdütsch. Try it! Launch a website using the “.li” domain!
B2B Marketing in its rawest form has become about content curation. If you can innovate in how you marry the right content to your audience – a tool like Paper.li can help. It can also facilitate contextual marketing since you can create multiple newspapers or paper.li’s and tweak them for a different audience.
- Choose a Paper.li name that reflects your subject and which contextually resonates with your B2B Marketing audience. Ask: what topics do they enter into a search engine? The paper.li’s title may be one of the few ways to build organic traffic from SEO since Google does not index newspapers’ contents – so the links within the paper.li [to your site, for example] won’t produce SEO value. A custom domain name for your paper.li can increase SEO.
- Find the news sources which your audience is sure to access when seeking information and aggregate them into your paper.li. Check the topics (or automated categories) of your paper.li and select only those you wish to display.
- Boost social connections for your brand by identifying and aggregating influencers’ content about your subject in your paper.li. When you promote your paper.li you’ll mention them individually and this has a multiplier effect as it is seen by their followers, too. You can add an entire twitter list at once, if you like.
- Wisely choose contextual keywords within your content sources to be relevant to your audience. Paper.li lets you include a news source with filters – so you aggregate only certain content from that source.
- Filter twitter handles to include only the tweets from that handle if they include certain keywords
- Remove competitors names or other words you wish to avoid from tweeters and sources
Contextual marketing can be facilitated by putting Paper.li to work for you. Here’s a link to my ‘Inventions on Social’ Paper.li shown above. A B2B Paper.li created together with my colleagues Charlotte Han and Nadine Ebert on The Customer Edge is coming soon. Stay tuned!