Continuous evolution rocks in the cloud
One of the theories regarding the history of human nature and the development of human capabilities is based on the theory of evolution: a very long journey where human beings developed many capabilities, and the succeeding generations continue to innovate and make additional enhancements.
We have a similar situation with all kinds of convenience goods. In most cases we have to buy a new item to benefit from the evolution. The speed of next gen and improved product versions are increasing which propels the desire to consume new design and functionality. But shortening these cycles implies an accelerated substitution of hardware devices (e.g. smartphones, cars, TVs, …), and an increased consumption of energy and raw materials. So very often the sunny side of those developments also comes with some dark sides.
This is why software is something really fascinating for me: We can benefit from new functionality without replacing hardware.
But traditionally, software installed locally is mainly updated in yearly or longer intervals and comes with other drawbacks:
- The installation of some of those ‘big’ updates sometimes forces us to buy new hardware to prevent the processing speed from going down.
- An Upgrade of locally installed software includes a lot of effort for upgrading server- and locally installed components, and this prevents us from installing every single upgrade.
Consequently, outdated software is being used and the end-users are disconnected from the evolution of software and new benefits they could take advantage of.
With cloud software this is different:
- New versions are built and delivered on a quarterly basis.
- The service to upgrade the software occurs, seamless for the users and without hassle for the administrators as they get new or extended functionality.
- Usage of this software happens on mobile devices or desktop PC’s, and processing time is independent of local hardware.
- New technologies like extensive usage of mobile devices, big-data and resulting new functionalities reach the users very quickly.
- The combination of new technology like GPS coordinates; capturing items and newest OCR-techniques as well as the integration to third party services delivers completely new nearly magic services and increases the data quality and support for end-users.
With the evolution of cloud software users always benefit from the latest version without any hassle.
As an example take a look at some of the innovations of
It is available since February and brings a wealth of new functionality to all new and existing users. For example:
- Broader country coverage; 19 country versions supporting specific regulations for both local tax and local legal requirements out-of-the-box (with the international template it can be used in more than 100 countries)
- Support for the new Physician Payment Sunshine Act adds highest compliance standards required for the health care industry but beneficial for all types of industries
- Customized analytics offer role-based analytics across various users, including business travelers, managers, auditors, and CFOs
- The Android mobile version offers greater choice in devices for employees
- Improved integration into SAP ERP applications and the SAP Financials OnDemand solution
As a result, cloud software gets closer to the consumers and is tailored specifically to the needs of today’s users. Feedback is incorporated quickly and gets back faster to the user.
Have a look on the new
If you want to see more about SAP Travel OnDemand:
Have a look at the short video: What’s New: SAP Travel OnDemand 1302
Or learn more about SAP Travel OnDemand here http://sap.com/travelondemand