This documents deals with some of the important points of Restore and recovery .
****It does not dicuss the step by step .But deals with some important points .
Purpose of restore:
- Restore is performed during the system refresh activity from production to quality/test server.
- Whenever database get corrupted, we restore the system from the previous consistent backup of the same system
- For new system build from existing system (using system copy method)
- Check the Offline Backup of (Target System)
This is required to restore the system back to its previous state as a part of fall back plan
- 2. Space Info
Verify the following points:
- Mount points should be same i.e. no. of sapdatas should be same in both the systems
- Space in all the mount points of target systems should be 10% more than the source system.
3. Check the Online/Offline Backup of source system
The PITR (Point in time Recovery) information is provided by the client as per their requirement. Once they provide this information, the back up to be restored is decided.
After deciding which backup to use, copy the successful backup file ( this is required if target and source system are different)
4. DBS Backup of Source System
Take the backup of the dbs directory of the source system in order to save the database parameters .
5. Backup Channel Configuration
a. When source and target systems are different, Backup channel needs to be configured to make the backup and archive logs available on the target host
b. If source and target system are same, backup channel configuration is not required
We can recover database by the following command
Recover database using command “recover database until time ‘<time>’ using backup controlfile;”
After the recovery is completed, Open the database using the command “alter database open resetlogs;”