Just as the mobile Internet has challenged firms to rethink their businesses, so too will the merger of the virtual and the physical world through machine-to-machine (M2M) communication. M2M, “communications technology that allows machines of all types and sizes to autonomously communicate with each other” has long been imagined and is now gaining traction in many sectors.
In this report by the Economist Intelligence Unit, you will learn how much of this interest stems from mobile operators, who are eagerly awaiting the possibility of connecting cars, homes, equipment, heart sensors and all manner of other devices to their networks to find new revenue sources. You will also learn:
- M2M market forecasts vary, but all predict big growth potential
- Cheaper technology and smaller devices will drive take-up
- M2M business models based on proven efficiency and cost savings will see the most growth
- Governments will need to help simplify technology standards and streamline regulations in some sectors to foster innovation
- Customer concerns about privacy and security will determine the viability of many M2M applications
Ultimately, long-term growth and innovation will come from experimentation within individual sectors, but many firms either do not understand the technology or have doubts about the true business benefits. Download this report now and read how your sector is positioned to benefit from this technology.