Skip to Content
Author's profile photo Former Member

Cloud Computing Today

“The Cloud Computing model is a perfect match for big data since cloud computing provides unlimited resources on demand. Today, cloud is a given, most IT people understand what it is, and many are using it in their jobs.” – The Atlantic

This trending, technological shift has only taken place, really, in the past few years. According to The Atlantic, ot too long ago, “Cloud Computing was appealing mainly because of its ‘pay per use’ model (ideal in touch economic times)”. Today, Cloud Computing is becoming more and more popular as it is widely recognized as an enabler of big data analytics.

The amounts of data we have collected in the twenty-first century is truly unbelievable. In the IT world, big data is a collection of data sets so large that on-hand database management tools are no longer able to process such large quantities of data. These challenges include having the capacity to capture, store, search, share, analyze and visualize such large collections of data. This is where the cloud comes in.

Research has shown:

  • Data is typically unstructured.
  • 80% of the world’s data is unstructured, leaving only 20% of data structured
  • 65% of business leaders say that they are overwhelmed with the amount of data their company manages, and 60% say they need to do a better job capturing and understanding information rapidly.

With Cloud Computing, it is possible to manage large quantities of data (structured and/or unstructured). With mobile devices, social media, sensors and new technologies on the rise, big data is only on the rise and needs to be managed, especially for businesses.

Resources: Changing the World: Big Data and the Cloud  via The Atlantic

Follow ETIAH on Twitter @ETIAH

Like ETIAH on Facebook

Assigned Tags

      Be the first to leave a comment
      You must be Logged on to comment or reply to a post.