SAP GUI Scripting in the Context of NetWeaver Business Client, a New Perspective
We see at the DSAG (German SAP User Group) the NetWeaver Business Client (NWBC) as replacement in the near future for the SAP GUI for Windows with the SAP Logon. From this point I considered the SAP GUI Scripting with NWBC for Desktop. At first I installed the NWBC 4.0 PL 4 and configured the application server. It runs well and I directed my attention to the SAP GUI Scripting.
First of all, it works. But there are some differences to SAP GUI Scripting inside SAP GUI for Windows.
- If I open a second NWBC Client window and use the method Connections from the Application object with the property Count, I get not more than one connection. SAP GUI Scripting uses only the first NWBC Client window. Look here: http://scn.sap.com/thread/3323820
- The correct entry in the running object table (ROT) for the SAP GUI Scripting inside NWBC is SAPGUISERVER.
- If I record a SAP GUI Script with NWBC, it sets SapGuiAuto = GetObject(“SAPGUI”). If I start this script from Windows Explorer, it runs in a normal SAP GUI for Windows session. I think it should be SapGuiAuto = GetObject(“SAPGUISERVER”).
- In the NWBC is no Ok-Code-Field visible. It is possible to use it with SAP GUI Scripting because it is in the scripting object hierarchy, but it is not possible to record something with it in NWBC.
- In the NWBC is no Toolbar visible and not useable. Older SAP GUI Scripts will not work and there is no equivalent.
My momentary conclusion: SAP GUI Scripting in the context of NWBC offers not the same possibilities as in SAP GUI for Windows context now. We will see what will happen in the future development of NWBC in this sector, I am curious.