In today’s analytics world, we may need to have information on at least one of the following for our SAP Enterprise Portal Website:
- Measure site activity
- Analyze User behavior
- React proactively to user behavior
- Visitors’ tracking.
- Design of the Site.
- Analysis of the contents visited (pages, files).
- Information of the visitors (Browsers, Operating System).
- Technical Statistics.
SAP Enterprise Portal website can use analytic tool like Webtrends to track site usage.
Webtrends is designed to organize the reports in accordance to the user groups accessing the information. Reports are divided as per their relevance into 4 groups; Overview, Marketing, Site Design and Site Performance.
Reports most relevant to the leadership such as dashboards are grouped within the Overview tab. Web content management teams will be able to find all the relevant information relating to traffic and user content access within the Site Design tab and finally Website management teams will be able to gather information on Website response statistics from the Site Performance tabs.
Below is the screenshot for Reports available in Webtrends.
Webtrends provides us with the tag to be used for hitting their server. This tag needs to be on all the pages , which we need to track on the SAP Enterprise Portal. Since SAP Enterprise Portal has many pages/iViews, this script needs to be added at a common place. This place can be a desktop innerpage of your framework page.
This is achieved by updating the framework par file with new jsp page having Webtrends script. This framework layout will be used as iview in desktop innerpage and added to your framework page
- You need to get the Webtrends tag “’webtrends.js ”for each Portal URL. This will be provided by Webtrends team managing the server.
- Download the com.sap.portal.layouts.framework.default.parfile from your portal and create a custom project on NWDS.
- Create a new template for Webtrends “WebtrendsWAandNavPanel.jsp “and include the Webtrends script on this page and place the ‘’webtrends.js’ file under /dist/scripts.
- Replace the [webtrendsservername] with your Webtrends server name ,[webtrends uniqueid from server] with the unique id provided by Webtrends team and [portalservername] with your SAP Portal
- Next export the par file with name “framework.par” to the portal and create a new page layout by selecting ‘New From PAR => Layout.’ Don not forget to select ‘Yes’ for ‘Object is a Template’ before you save the page layout.
- Add the iView to Desktop innerpage of the currently used framework page.
var _tag=new WebTrends();
// Add custom parameters here.
<!– END OF SmartSource Data Collector TAG –>
Once Webtrends is configured to run on SAP Enterprise portal, all the user hits will be captured by Webtrends server.
Below are some of the metrics collected and shown graphically:
The pages dashboard can be viewed as below:
Demographic details are also collected and available as below:
Thus you can have logs generated on Webtrends server from your SAP Portal website. Webtrends team compiles these logs into reports and you can view all the site activity through these reports.
These reports can help marketing team, web content management team and web management team to track site usage, vistors information, and performance of site.