Document for configuring load balancing between Portal and Backend using F5 Load Balancer
1 Making changes at the F5 for configuring Backend
1.1 Creating a Virtual node for the SAP application at F5
A virtual node is an interface to End user / Portal for Redirecting to SAP application.
Virtual node is identified by Virtual IP and the hostname.
Virtual IP is a free unused IP in the Domain / network.
Virtual Hostname should be entered in the DNS as it is being accessed by the end user.
Virtual URL is the URL which would be redirecting to the SAP application.
1.2 Configuring the Pool members in F5
Pool members are the application nodes which are added in the Pool for balancing the incoming requests
based on the load balancing algorithm.
AS seen in the above link F5 load balancing is happening at two places
- End user to Portal
- Portal to SRM
Here Nodes for EP
Node : portalserv
Port : 5xx00
Here Nodes for SRM
Node : Srmserv1
Port : 8000
Node : Srmserv2
Port : 8001
1.3 Configuring the F5 redirect in Portal
Below steps can be used for configuring the backend load balancing using F5
1) Create the new system using template as reference.
2) Enter the System name and System ID in the general properties and click on next
3) Screen showing the Summary will come, click on finish
4) Enter the details for ITS as shown below
5) Enter the details for the object property Connector
6) Enter the details for the Object property Web Application Server
7) Enter the details for System Alias