In Some cases background jobs in SM37 gets canceled due to lack of authorization in our User ID – Background jobs created like for Attribute/Hierarchy Change Run, Activation of a DSO request, Create Index etc. In this case the background job gets cancelled in SM37 with the error log “You do not have authorization for the BW object”.
So in this scenario we can re-execute the failed job with the user ALEREMOTE which is a standard SAP user which is used to run background jobs.
In order to achieve this process I have documented few steps below with screen shots which are self explanatory & will provide clear understanding of the process.
Note: The process has some security concerns which I have mentioned at the end of the article.
Step by step procedure to re-execute the failed job due to lack of authorization:
This procedure will help you to resolve such kind of cases in which the jobs gets canceled due to authorization issue. Here we are taking the example of Attribute change run job.
1) For executing Attribute change run, Go to the option Apply Hierarchy/Attribute Change run in Tools & check whether we have any infoobject/hierarchy pending for change run. Here we have 0customer. Select the object & click on save button.
2) Then execute it, a background job will get started. Monitor the job from SM37 & if the job gets cancelled due to insufficient authorization, follow the below steps.
3) If the job gets cancelled go to the job log of the failed job it will show the message “You do not have authorization for the BW object”.
4) Then select the cancelled job and click on copy from the menu bar.
5) Then just change the last two alphabet of the job name and then click on copy.
6) Now go back to the selection screen and select all scheduled jobs with your id and you will see the new job.
7) Now select the new job and click on change.
8) Then click on step.
9) You will get this screen. Select the job name and then click on change.
10) Then you will get a screen where user is mentioned. Replace the user ID with “ALEREMOTE” and then click on the save button at the bottom of the screen.
11) Now in the below screen you can see the user is changed to ALEREMOTE.
12) Then go back and click on start condition.
13) Click on immediate and then save.
14) Then save again and go back. Then refresh and you will see the new job running.
15) Now this new job will get finished successfully and change run will be done.
Hence, we can perform change run even if we do not have the access by using User – ALEREMOTE. We can also use the same procedure for all jobs which get cancelled due to insufficient authorization.
However from security perspective it is advisable to give the authorization to copy or change a background job to a particular set of super users or BI experts to avoid misuse of the process like only peoples of some cadre are responsible to execute this job but from this process anyone can exeute the failed job.
The process is usefull at the instant where delay is a major concern over security.