What is RFC Adapter
SAP PI can carry out its communication with SAP systems in three different ways. They are:
1. RFC Adapters
2. IDOC Adapters
RFC Adapter communication is one of the above three options.
- RFC Adapter converts the incoming RFC calls to XML and in turn XML messages to outgoing RFC calls in case if the destination system is SAP.
- RFC Adapter is installed on the J2EE Adapter Engine and can be monitored via Adapter Monitoring and Communication Channel Monitoring in the Runtime Workbench.
- We can have both synch (sRFC) and asynch (tRFC) communication with SAP systems
- sRFC uses Best Effort and tRFC uses Exactly Once Quality of services.
When can we use RFC Adapter
Configuring RFC Adapter
RFC Sender Adapter
In this case, Sender SAP system requests PI Integration Engine to process RFC calls.
- Before configuring the sender RFC Adapter, first you need to create an RFC connection in SAP system.
- Go to SAP system and open Tcode SM59 and create a new RFC connection of type TCP/IP.
- Now go to Technical settings tab and select Start of an Application server and in the Program, enter name to the Program ID you use.
- Same program ID should be given in the configuration of communication channel.
- Create a communication channel in ID with RFC adapter and of type sender.
- See the below screenshot for the sender RFC adapter configuration.
RFC Receiver Adapter
In this case, RFC receiver adapter converts the XML message in to RFC format and sends it to the target system where the RFC is executed.
- Create a communication channel in ID with RFC adapter and of type receiver.
- Specify the RFC Client parameters like the Application server details, logon credentials and activate the channel.
- See the below screenshot.