Solution Manager – March update
Solution Manager and HANA
As most of you know SAP has released HANA (new in-memory database) for ECC which will be generally available in Q2 2013. Currently this is being offered at the same price point as the customers’ existing Database licensing. This means that the cost of migrating to HANA will be similar to a platform migration (new hardware and database migration). Solution Manager is key to assisting in this migration and minimizing the disruption to existing Landscapes. So how does Solution Manager support the migration to HANA?
- Business Case Justification – By running the Reverse Business Process Documentation (RBPD) analysis from Solution Manager and comparing to available SAP HANA accelerators to identify value points. these can then be quantified to provide input into the Business Case.
- Implementation – Solution Manager Roadmaps. These provide a Project Template for all the activities required for managing the transition to HANA. As an example there is the Rapid Prototyping Roadmap for HANA.
- Operations – The main difference from traditional deployments and HANA is at the database level. Solution Manager contains the DBACockpit which is used to monitor and administer databases form various vendors. The DBACockpit has been enhanced to support HANA which means the administrators do not need training on a new tool. Along with the DBACockpit HANA is integrated into many of the Solution Manager Functions:
- Monitoring alerts
- E2E Root Cause Analysis
- CTS+ Change Management
- Continuous quality checks (HANA Sizing, Implementation, Early Watch) available as self-services within Solution Manager
Having Solution Manager deployed correctly is going to help in minimizing the disruption caused by new technologies from SAP like HANA.
Solution Manager Maintenance:
- Support Pack 08 has been released with minor enhancements (see link for more information).
- Solman 7.0 Mainstream Maintenance ends Q4 2013 (7.1 will be supported for 6 years)
Reminder – EGI registration has moved to SAP Enterprise Support Academy:
- Online schedule for Expert Guided Implementation sessions
- Online schedule for Meet the Expert sessions
Use the “Region” search filter to refine the search results.
EGI’s – Schedule for March:
Setup & Upgrade your SAP Solution Manager
- Solution Manager Basic Configuration 7.1 – 18th to 22nd Mar
- Technical Upgrade to 7.1 – 4th to 8th Mar
Implement Application Lifecycle Management on Your SAP Solution Manager 7.1
- Change Control Management II: Quality Gate Management – 11th to 14th Mar
- Change Control Management III: Change Request Management – 19th to 21st Mar
Implement Run SAP like a Factory on Your SAP Solution Manager 7.1
- Test Management I SAP Test Workbench – 5th to 8th Mar
- Data Volume Management (DVM) – 11th to 15th Mar
- Data Volume Management Methodology and Infrastructure – 11th to 15th Mar
- Basic Configuration and EarlyWatch Alert for SAP BOBJ 4.0/Solution Manager 7.1 – 11th to 15th Mar
- Guided Self Service “Security Optimization Service (SOS)” – 18th to 22nd Mar
- System Consolidation & Rollout of Country Versions – 5th to 8th Mar
Meet the Experts (1 hour presentations with Q&A)
- Decommissioning Systems – 12th Mar
- Introducing the SAP HANA Studio – 18th Mar
- Lost In SAP Support Space? The Journey To Find Your Way – 19th Mar