In SAP BI 7.0 , new concepts and technologies are available in the Data Warehousing Workbench for process design and modeling the data flow. The existing concepts and technologies (3.x DataSource, 3.x transfer and update rules, 3.x InfoSource) are still supported. Objects belonging to these concepts and technologies are now referred to as 3.x objects.
SAP has provided a Migration tool for this purpose which automatically does the job with little or no manual effort. During conversion most of the routines and formulas in the update rules and transfer rules automatically gets converted. The Migration tool cannot migrate scenarios of unlimited complexity. Therefore, the transformations created during the migration may be incomplete or incorrect in rare cases.
One of the important point to note here is that we do not have to carry out the migration process as on big bang and don’t have to implement everything in one single step instead we can implement individual areas separately.
The most important benefit of Migration to SAP BI 7.0 is that we can use the new features & new concepts while working with an existing data model.
NOTE:- Before migration, we should ensure that the SAP GUI & Patch level are same in all the systems(Dev, Quality, Prod) in order to avoid any issues in future. This is critical for Queries & workbooks migration.
Steps involved in migration
There are some steps of migration which needs to follow for migration of data flow. We need to migrate transfer rules first before migrating data source. Many people make this mistake while migration. If we migrate data source first, then we will lose transfer rules.
A) To migrate Transfer rules to Transformation
1) Right click on the Transfer rule–>Additional functions–>Create Transformation.
2) It will copy all the mappings between the data source & Infosource or Data source & Master data info object.
3) Check all the routines,syntax and compare with the old ones if they exist.
(A note 1052648 elaborates on different errors that can occur during the migration with a viable course of action for each case.)
3) Activate the Transformation and save it in a transport.
B) To Migrate Data source from 3.x to 7.0
1) In the SAP BI 7.0, select an SAP BW 3.x emulated DataSource .
2) Right click on the data source and click migrate from the context menu.
3) Click on “with export” option, it will ask for a transport.A message appears telling you that your DataSource has been migrated.
The migrated DataSource should appear in the DataSource tree without a square white icon at the beginning of its description.
The with export option is useful if you want to turn back the data source to BW 3.5.
When the datasource is migrated the Infopackage is automatically converted and ‘Only PSA’ option is automatically selected in the update tab.
4) The final step is to activate the migrated data source.
C) To Migrate update rules to Transformation
1)Now go the the update rule, right click–>Additional functions–>Create Transformation.
2) It will copy all the mappings. In case of any problem we need to see the error message and correct it to continue.
3) Check all the routines,syntax and compare it with the old ones.
3) Activate the transformation and save it in a transport.
D) Create DTP to load the data in Target
1) Right-click the transformation, and select the Create DTP option.
2) Activate & save the DTP in a transport.
E) Change the Process chains
1) Modify the respective process chains to include DTP.
We can refer to note 1052648 for any road blocks.
F) To Migrate BW 3.5 queries to BI 7 or BW 3.5 workbooks to BI 7
1. In order to migrate a BEx 3.5 query to BI 7.0 query, open the 3.5 query with 7.0 Bex query designer and save it in that version. From hereon you will not be able to edit that query in Bex 3.5.
b) Enter your Query Technical Name as input to the field COMPID in the table RSZCOMPDIR and execute.
c) Field VERSION in the Table RSZCOMPDIR should have the value below 100,which means query is in 3.x
d) If it is Greater Than 100 means, it is already Migrated.
e) After migration check the value again to confirm.
2. In order to migrate a 3.5 Workbook to BI 7.0 workbook, open the workbook with 7.0 Bex analyser and save it in that version. From hereon one will not be able to use that workbook in Bex 3.5
G) To Migrate BW 3.5 web templates to BI 7
1. Open Web application designer
2. Select tools from Menu.
3. Select the Migration Tool option from the Tools
4. Enter your Web Template Technical name (3.x Web Template)
5. Press Convert Button
This will automatically Migrate your web template from 3.x to 7.0