Batch Derivation Overview with example
Purpose of Batch Derivation:
It enables you to do transfer/ display for batch master data and classification data of the component batches of produced batches. Component batches may send data and produced batches may receive data.
The derivation can be called and used in all areas of Logistics at fixed times (for example, when posting goods receipts for production orders, when releasing process and manufacturing orders, when making the usage decision).
Pull Derivation (1 receiver: n senders)
The derivation is triggered from a transaction that affects the product. Here, data from various senders can be collected, cumulated, and calculated.
Within a derivation according to the pull principle, there can only be one receiver, but there can be several senders (example usage: pick and pack for pharmaceutical products).
1. Pull derivation can be triggered during usage decision through QM in background.
2. When production order / process order is released.
3. When Goods receipt for production order / process order is posted.
4. Batch derivation can be triggered manually with transaction DVMAN.
5. You can also call batch derivation with user defined events in user exits.
You have to maintain the required derivation events in Customizing for Batch Management under Derivation of Batch Data -> Define Derivation Events.
Push derivation (1 sender n receivers)
Within a derivation according to the push principle, there can only be one sender and several receivers.
This derivation is started from a transaction that affects the component batch. Here, data from a sender batch can be derived onto several receiver batches. You can trigger a push derivation at Usage decision or manual derivation or with user defined derivation event.
To fulfill the requirements that occur in various business processes, there are generally two types of derivation:
· Static derivation
· Dynamic derivation
Static derivation is recommended if a batch is newly created or changed and the values in the receiver batch(es) should be filled with the attributes from the sender batch(es).
Dynamic derivation is used when
- the receiver batch must/should not be changed
- the sender values should be used as the basis for a user decision
Prerequisites for batch Derivation:
1. The batch where-used list must be activated with the BaWU synchron.posting indicator (synchronous posting of batch where-used records).
You make the settings for the batch where-used list under
Batch Where-Used List ->Make Settings for Batch Where-Used List :
Batch derivation must be active (Derivation of Batch Data Activate Batch Derivation) in customizing of batch derivation.
1. Sender and receiver search strategies must be assigned to the derivation events in customizing.
If SAP standard condition setting for receiver / sender search are not enough you can configure your own under Set Up Condition Technique for Derivation in customizing.
1. 5. Condition records should be maintained for receiver as well as sender batches which we will demonstrate in example further.
Batch Derivation Example:
We will see how bulk red paint (CH-1110) transfers the characteristics to Filled red canister CH-1100.
All prerequisite configurations is set as shown above.
Receiver condition records: Transaction DVR1/DVR2:
Characteristics color_index_red & paint_viscosity should be received from red paint.
Rules are set to determine batch derivation behavior as show below :
If multiple senders are sending chacateristcs values it will adopt the minimum characteristics value. In case of Sender is empty or recipient has the value it would provide the warning.
Sender condition record setting:
Sender condition records are maintained as shown below:
Derivation events are set in customizing to occur in all possible scenarios of pull derivation. We would check It with goods receipt of filled red canister of 10KG (CH-1100).
Create and release process order to fill bulk red paint in 10 kg canister.
In next document I would explain how BADI DERIVATION can be used to enhance batch derivation functionality.
Hitachi Consulting India Pvt Limited