60 days with the Surface RT Tablet
Here is a interesting blog by Ed Bott in which he has been having 60 days with the Microsoft Windows 8 Surface RT Tablet seeing whether it can replace his Laptop.
Firstly he covers, what he found good:
1. The hardware was gorgeous (his words) being precisely engineered, thin and light.
2. It covers all of his tasks as a writer, Office Word, RSS feed reader, Twitter, Zinio Magazine reader, Browser IE 10.
3. Useful Hardware ports – SD slot, USB – easy to copy music and files to a BitLocker-protected USB flash drive.
4. Battery life is excellent, so good you don’t have to think about it.
5. Runs cool and quiet. No fans needed.
Secondly he covers, what he found wrong with the RT.
1. The selection of available apps is still weak compared to Apple’s iPad store.
2. Device works best in horizontal mode. In vertical most apps look awkward.
3. Only IE is available as a browser. Some websites just won’t work with I.E. 10.
4. Office 2013 apps have no Macro support. So you can’t use most of those Word templates and Excel sheets you have created on Laptop.
5. Lack of comprehensive driver support. You can’t use your laptop drivers.
This is an excellent Blog which is clearly written by someone who was really trying to use a Surface Tablet as a Lattop replacement. In the main he succeeded. To read the full blog click here: http://www.zdnet.com/my-60-days-with-the-surface-rt-7000009545/
Its also worth reading his initial blog in October when he picked up the Surface Tablet to test: Hands on with Microsofts Surface RT can it hit the sweet spot
Will iPad replace the laptop in 2013 ?
Another interesting related blog worth reading can be found here: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/software/3419350/ipad-will-not-replace-laptop-in-2013/