Enhanced functionalities of Process chains in SAP BW 7.3
SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse 7.30 (BW7.30)
This paper provides details on enhanced functionalities of process chain monitoring in BW 7.3
Company: L&T Infotech Ltd
Created on: 20 November 2012
Vishnudas Narayana Mangalam is working as SAP-BI Consultant in L&T Infotech Ltd and has worked on BW Implementation/Support Projects.
Table of Contents
Process chain Monitoring
A process chain is a sequence of processes that wait in the background for an event. Some of these processes trigger a separate event that can, in turn, start other processes.
Process chains can be used to:
● Automate the complex process flows in BW using event-controlled processing.
● Visualize the processes using network graphics.
● Centrally control and monitor processes.
A process chain consists of a start process, individual application processes, and the collection processes.
Start process defines the start of the process. All other processes in the chain are scheduled to wait for an event.
The application processes are the actual processes.
Collection processes are handled differently in process chain management. They allow to combine multiple chain strings into one individual string. This means that we only have to schedule the actual work processes once.
Processes are connected using events that are triggered by a predecessor process to start a subsequent process.
BW 7.3 has enhanced the functionality of the Process Monitoring transaction (RSPCM). It’s much easier now to see the recent status of Process Chains in a supervision with regards to timely execution. Enhanced features help in simple supervision of process chains.
BW 7.3 has provided new look and feel to RSPC and RSPCM screens. New options are available in general Services screen.
· Process chains can be searched by name directly from workbench.
· Possible to directly navigate to the lowest subchains in the meta chain hierarchy if the top-level master name is known since chains itself have a hierarchical structure, displaying the metachain – subchain relationship.
· RSPCM became user-dependent with 7.30. Each user has his own unique selection of process chains to monitor.
· No need of searching for the red process and navigating and searching the log as the system is extracting the error messages from the single processes of the failed process chain run and directly displays them together with the corresponding message long text.
· Repair button available. The button will repair or repeat any failed process in the chain run like we could do already before via context menu.
· There is a column to switch on and off the “Time Monitoring” in the overview table.
Process chain Monitoring
1) 1. No need of using /ssa/bwt program or Tcode ST13 to monitor the chains.
RSPCM tcode can be directly accessible from RSA1.
When the Monitor list of process chain is configured initially, SAP prompts the message
1) 2. Hierarchical view of Meta and local chains.
1) 3.Click on the high lightened button for adding chains from a component.
1) 4. Time Monitoring of process chain is possible.
1) 5. Feasibility to set and use the include function so that we can monitor only some required sets of chains amongst all the chains.
Go to Edit Include and select the include option we want to monitor. Example :if we want to monitor the chains which are executed by specific user.
1) 6. Advanced monitor option for failed chains.
Click the failed chain.
Details of the failure can be seen
Clicking on Repair will directly repair the failed chain.
If we click on log we can see the process chain logs of that chain.
1) 7. Various options for refreshing the process chains.
1) 8. Runtime statistics
Display process will show all the individual processes.
1) 9. New option “Skip” will reduce the manual efforts for performing force green.