I guess until now you might have used SAP NetWeaver Gateway for building people centric applications by unlocking your transactional data stored in SAP backends. But, do you wanted to unlock the analytic content in SAP BW system and build people centric user interfaces for analytics? If yes, then this post will give you a quick overview. In this post I will show how to transform a SAP BW Cube of type Query which can be accessed using MDX into an OData Analytic service.
I have splitted the topic into 3 parts.
- Transform SAP BW Queries into OData Service: Part 1 – Generation and Activation
- Transform SAP BW Queries into OData Service: Part 2 – Analyze OData Analytics Service
- Transform SAP BW Queries into OData Service: Part 3 – Execute OData Analytics Service
SAP NetWeaver Gateway 2.0 SP05 – I would recommend using SAP NetWeaver Gateway 2.0 SP05. Nevertheless most of the features are supported from SP04. The examples that shall be shown in this series are from SP05.
SAP BW 7.00 – Well you could use SAP BW release 7.0 onwards for exposing Cubes of type query that can be accessed via MDX. The examples that shall be shown in this series are from SAP BW 7.30.
Ok lets start with the first step …
OData analytics service can be generated using SAP NetWeaver Gateway Service Builder (Transaction – SEGW). The below image summarizes the steps.
— Click on the Image —
- Run transaction SEGW
- Create a New Project in Service Builder
- Right click on Data Model and select from the context menu “Redefine->BW Service”
- A three step wizard pops up
In this step you
- Choose the Access Type as “Controller for MDX (SAP BW)”
- Provide the RFC destination pointing to SAP BW system. If you have deployed IW_BEP in SAP BW system keep the RFC destination as “NONE”
- Press F4 on field Catalog to select the BW catalog that has the cube of type query that could be accessed using MDX
- Press F4 on field Cube to select the Cube of type query that you wish to convert to an OData Service.
You could choose to leave the screen with default values. Just fill in a meaningful description for the OData Model and OData service.
In this step you normally specify the OData Model Provider and Data Provider class names and OData Model and OData Service names.
Select all Entity Types proposed by the system and press Finish.
The service should be successfully generated.
The next step is to activate the generated OData Analytic Service. Logon to SAP NetWeaver Gateway Hub and execute the transaction /IWFND/MAINT_SERVICE to activate the service. I assume you are familiar with the transaction /IWFND/MAINT_SERVICE. If not please visit http://help.sap.com/nwgateway -> SAP NetWeaver Gateway Developer Guide -> OData Channel -> Basic Features -> Service-Life Cycle -> Activate and Maintain Services.