Recently, there have been a lot of questions and confusions over the options available for customers to upgrade to the latest version of Process Integration (PI) or Process Orchestration (PO).
These confusions came mainly from PI customers with volume-based licenses. And, these customers want to upgrade to PO.
Let us first look at the basic product information for Process Orchestration (PO):
- PO is a bundled product of PI, Business Process Management (BPM) and Business Rule Management (BRM).
- PO is licensed based on CPU.
- With PO, PI can be installed as dual-stack or single-stack (AEX).
- If PI is installed as AEX, PO can be installed using the same system ID (SID), meaning PI, BPM and BRM are installed on one JEE server. This will improve TCO due to savings in hardware, support and administration. There are also performance improvements due to internal processing of messages between PI and BPM/BRM.
- AEX can also be installed by itself on one SID, with BPM/BRM installed on a different SID. With this option, BPM/BRM cannot be added to AEX at a later time; a new installation will be required. (In my opinion, this is not recommended for a PO license unless there is a special reason to do so. However, this might be a valid path for PI volume-based license as stated below.)
- If PI is installed as dual-stack, then PO, PI and BPM/BRM, will have to be installed with different SIDs. PI on one SID and BPM/BRM on a different SID.
For PI customers with CPU-based license, they can go to PO by converting their license from PI to PO. Generally speaking, this is a direct license conversion.
For PI customers with volume-based license, below are the options:
|Option 1||Convert the license from volume-based to CPU-based. Contact your Account Executive to convert these licenses and apply credits as appropriate after dimensioning existing usage to CPU.|
The bottom line is that PO is a bundled product of PI, BPM and BRM. It can be installed using different options, with a single SID or 2 SIDs. To install as a single SID, PO must be licensed.